notepad + projector project

So I'd like to work on a project as a way to take notes / keep a journal without using my everyday phone or tablets (because I'm addicted to them, and I would like to keep the focus on journaling without distraction).

Any suggestions/feedback appreciated. I'd also like to do this as a way to learn some programming and hardware skills with Arduino.

Ideally it would be connected to a projector screen, so that I can turn it on in the morning and see my notes and goals on the wall. It'd be connected to a wireless keyboard / trackpad so that I can start journaling before I get out of bed. I can turn off & on everything involved with one button.

Some tools that look useful (open to suggestions):

Note-taking software: Paperwork Is an Evernote Alternative You Can Host Yourself

Projector screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H18TVHG

Keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HG8DB5E

SD card breakout: MicroSD card breakout board+ : ID 254 : $7.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

The lessons that I think I'll need to learn are:

• How to connect a projector screen to Arduino
  • How to enable bluetooth keyboard with Arduino
  • How to add Note-taking Software to Arduino
  • How to add an on/off switch for all devices involved (eventually with Alexa but that can wait)
  • Storing data with Arduino (SD card?)

This will be my first Arduino project. I'm sure I'll have an interest in adding features once these basics are done, but I also want to avoid over-complicating this and making sure it stays simple.

Personally I'd start with something simple- this is quite a complex task , certainly for a beginner.
If you are learning , play with the examples and learn how to connect things to the Arduino, then try and work out how you could do this task , how you get data in and out etc .
You might be better off with a pi or .... a mobile phone

brianl21:

• How to connect a projector screen to Arduino

Not simple and not for the beginner. You can get an Arduino to give the most basic of composite output but it isn’t really built for it. Definitely an advanced project right there.

brianl21:

• How to enable bluetooth keyboard with Arduino

Not sure about that one. Don’t know if Arduino would read a keyboard over bluetooth. You’d definitely need a shield as Arduino doesn’t have bluetooth built in.

brianl21:

• How to add Note-taking Software to Arduino

You’re going to have to write it. And since the Arduino can only run one program at a time you’ll have to make sure it integrates well with the code for the other things.

brianl21:

• How to add an on/off switch for all devices involved (eventually with Alexa but that can wait)

Buttons are easy.

brianl21:

• Storing data with Arduino (SD card?)

Storing data on an SD is easy. But it’s slow and you’ve already got a lot going on in this code so it may make other things laggy.

brianl21:
This will be my first Arduino project. I’m sure I’ll have an interest in adding features once these basics are done, but I also want to avoid over-complicating this and making sure it stays simple.

To keep it simple get an RPi. This definitely sounds more like a project for one of those. Rather trivial to set up on a Pi. But on an Arduino this is definitely NOT a beginner project.

Here's what you need to learn:

• you can't
  • you can't
  • you can't
  • you can't
  • ah-ha! you have discovered a thing that could be used with an Arduino

This will be my first Arduino project.

No, it won't. But as suggested by hammy, it could be your first Pi project. You won't need the SD card breakout. The Pi already has one.

Ok thank you all, will try this with the raspberry pi!