Novice question, any help appreciated

Hi
This is my first post and I hope I don't cause any ire with this request.

I have recently purchased a 3d printer and I am absolutely in love with it (not in a pervy way). It has opened up the world of arduino to me and I have a project I think would be an ideal starter for me but I haven't got a clue what to search the projects for me to follow and build. I don't know the search terms as the projects listed are for a specific purpose. All I need is for someone to say, this project will be a starter point but you will have to alter this or that.

Ok I am building an enclosure for my printer as my workshop is cold and unheated when I am not in it. I have equipped the enclosure with a greenhouse heater which does have a thermostat but I am thinking it would be cool to have the heater and the fans controlled by an arduino, so that when it gets to a certain temperature the heater comes on and when I am using it, when it gets to a certain temperature the fans come on. As there are three fans if they cut in at different temperature points even better.

Hopefully I have explained myself well enough and that my plan is possible.

TIA

Aiden

What you describe is certainly possible. There are digital temperature sensors like the DC18B20 or analog sensors like the LM35. An Arduino can not drive a heater so a relay or MOSFET is required. And a driver may be necessary for the fans depending on the particular fans that you choose.

welcome to the forum.

please read HOW TO USE THIS FORUM and pay attention to #6 about subject lines.
it is a sticky post on every forum on this site.

then test your subject line with google. if you get hits that seem appropriate to your question, all is good.

groundFungus:
What you describe is certainly possible. There are digital temperature sensors like the DC18B20 or analog sensors like the LM35.

So there are very few situations in which you would not prefer the DS18B20. I have been foraging them for free from a single use disposable piece of medical equipment. :grinning:

If you don't know the language at least as far as arrays, for-loop, if-then, while-loop and switch-case then learn those just to save yourself hours of repetitive coding and a lot of "how do I" questions that will get using some of those as answers. Knowing just these things will help you plan your project better and write the code quicker.

These are in your IDE, you don't have to type or paste them, just File->Examples->.... and there they are.

Sections 1,2,3 and 5 have useful lessons.
Section 4 will teach you a Very Bad Habit for Arduino, C++ String objects that have caused many "Why does my sketch crash?" threads.

I know you want to jump. You can switch a heater on/off with an old style bimetal coil thermostat, no controller needed.