nRF24 tone receiver?

I am trying to make a toner generator and receiver. My question is, can the nRF24 pick up a tone I send out on a wire or do I need a different antenna set up for this to work?

Neither will do what you want. You need TWO NRF24 devices so either can transmit to the other using radio frequencies around 2.4 gigaherz.
Please explain your project a bit further.
Paul

The nRF24 doesn't transmit tones, only binary values. So you could transmit an integer representing the frequency of the tone and on the receiving side generate the tone.

Ok, so I'm trying to build is a wire tracer with a toner generator and I'm not sure how to go about it, I guess. I have a toner generator that I have made, but I'm not sure how to make the tracer and what kind of antenna or receiver I would need to do it.

So basically you just want to inject a RF signal on a wire and then have a receiver that detects the presence of the wire so you can trace it (like through walls, for instance). The nRF24 won't help you here since it won't indicate signal strength and isn't really designed for this type of application. You need an RF oscillator for your transmitter and a simple antenna, tuner, and detector that you can send to an analog input of the Arduino to measure the signal strength.