Nrf24l01 + arduino pro mini issues

Dear community,

So I just realised I had these nrf24l01 modules laying around and I decided to use them.I dont know whats wrong, I am using an arduino pro mini 3.3v 8mhz and low power nrf24l01 modules.I am breaking my head for over 2 weeks and I cant make them communicate properly.I used them with an uno and a nano and they worked.I have a 22μf capasitor at the input of the nrf.I used this tutorial but it doesnt work.(I have changet the ce and csn to 9,10).The module has proper 3.3v(multimeter messured).Help me.
Edit: I use tmrh20 library.

Thanks again

I'm missing a lot of information, mainly a wiring diagram and the code you're using (don't forget the code tags, that's the </> button in the editor!).

Have a look at this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial.

Wireless problems can be very difficult to debug so get the wireless part working on its own before you start adding any other features.

The examples are as simple as I could make them and they have worked for other Forum members. If you get stuck it will be easier to help with code that I am familiar with. Start by getting the first example to work

A common problem with nRF24 modules is insufficient 3.3v current. Try powering them with a pair of AA alkaline cells (3v) with the battery GND connected to the Arduino GND.

...R

pylon:
I'm missing a lot of information, mainly a wiring diagram and the code you're using (don't forget the code tags, that's the </> button in the editor!).

Transmitter(pro mini):

#include <SPI.h>
    #include <nRF24L01.h>
    #include <RF24.h>
    RF24 radio(9, 10); // CE, CSN
    const byte address[6] = "00001";
    void setup() {
      radio.begin();
      radio.openWritingPipe(address);
      radio.setPALevel(RF24_PA_MIN);
      radio.stopListening();
    }
    void loop() {
      const char text[] = "Hello World";
      radio.write(&text, sizeof(text));
      delay(1000);
    }

Reciever(Uno):

#include <SPI.h>
    #include <nRF24L01.h>
    #include <RF24.h>
    RF24 radio(7, 8); // CE, CSN
    const byte address[6] = "00001";
    void setup() {
      Serial.begin(9600);
      radio.begin();
      radio.openReadingPipe(0, address);
      radio.setPALevel(RF24_PA_MIN);
      radio.startListening();
    }
    void loop() {
      if (radio.available()) {
        char text[32] = "";
        radio.read(&text, sizeof(text));
        Serial.println(text);
      }
    }

Robin2:
Have a look at this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial.

Wireless problems can be very difficult to debug so get the wireless part working on its own before you start adding any other features.

The examples are as simple as I could make them and they have worked for other Forum members. If you get stuck it will be easier to help with code that I am familiar with. Start by getting the first example to work

A common problem with nRF24 modules is insufficient 3.3v current. Try powering them with a pair of AA alkaline cells (3v) with the battery GND connected to the Arduino GND.

...R

I power it with a lipo(up to 1 Amp max current output).No tutorial works.I have tried the one you suggested me.I think it is hardware related or code related.

gtsol:
I power it with a lipo(up to 1 Amp max current output).No tutorial works.I have tried the one you suggested me.I think it is hardware related or code related.

First off, a single LiPo cell has a max voltage of about 4.2v when fully charged and that significantly exceeds the 3.6v max for an nRF24 - it is possible you have damaged the nRF24. Do you have some spare modules that you can try?

Second, if you have tried my programs and they have not worked please post the code that YOU uploaded to your two Arduinos and ALSO post wiring diagrams showing how you have everything connected. (See this Simple Image Upload Guide )

My programs do work and I suggest you stick with them until you get them working.

...R

Robin2:
First off, a single LiPo cell has a max voltage of about 4.2v when fully charged and that significantly exceeds the 3.6v max for an nRF24 - it is possible you have damaged the nRF24. Do you have some spare modules that you can try?

Second, if you have tried my programs and they have not worked please post the code that YOU uploaded to your two Arduinos and ALSO post wiring diagrams showing how you have everything connected. (See this Simple Image Upload Guide )

My programs do work and I suggest you stick with them until you get them working.

...R

I dont think its code related.Oh and I use a 3.3v regulator after the tp4056 module(bat protection)

nrf MOSI --> arduino pin 11
nrf MISO --> arduino pin 12
nrf sck --> pin 13
ce --> pin 9
csn --> pin 10

gtsol:
I dont think its code related.

If it does not work then you cannot know

Oh and I use a 3.3v regulator after the tp4056 module(bat protection)

That's why I asked (and am still asking) for a diagram showing all the connections. A diagram is much more informative than text - and less likely to be misunderstood.

Provide links to the datasheets for all the parts you are using (other than the nRF24 and the pro mini)

...R

Robin2:
If it does not work then you cannot know

That's why I asked (and am still asking) for a diagram showing all the connections. A diagram is much more informative than text - and less likely to be misunderstood.

Provide links to the datasheets for all the parts you are using (other than the nRF24 and the pro mini)

...R

I am using an ld1117 voltage regulator.

Schematic: https://easyeda.com/gtsol/nrf24

gtsol:
I am using an ld1117 voltage regulator.

I don't think an LD1117 will work from a 1S LiPo because my datasheet says its dropout voltage is about 1v.

I power my nRF24s from a 1S LiPo with a small diode between the battery and the nRF24. The Pro Mini will work fine when powered directly from a 1S LiPo.

For the future please include your diagram directly in your Reply - it makes life much easier for people trying to help you.

...R

OP's image, cropped for brevity:
84abb44ebde943daa2c29602f901f312.png
You're missing all of the required bypass and filtering capacitors for that regulator. The minimum input voltage for the 3.3V version is about 4.3V so your LiPO isn't going to be able to power it properly.
You could also run the battery straight to the VCC of the Pro Mini- that would reduce the load you're putting on the regulator.

BJHenry:
OP's image, cropped for brevity:
84abb44ebde943daa2c29602f901f312.png
You're missing all of the required bypass and filtering capacitors for that regulator. The minimum input voltage for the 3.3V version is about 4.3V so your LiPO isn't going to be able to power it properly.
You could also run the battery straight to the VCC of the Pro Mini- that would reduce the load you're putting on the regulator.

Can I connect the battery to arduino raw pin and the nrf at vcc?

gtsol:
Can I connect the battery to arduino raw pin

No. The Raw pin goes feeds into the onboard regulator, which will likely need at 4.3V to function correctly. You can feed it into the Arduino VCC pin.

gtsol:
Can I connect the battery to... the nrf at vcc?

Robin2 has already addressed this:

Robin2:
First off, a single LiPo cell has a max voltage of about 4.2v when fully charged and that significantly exceeds the 3.6v max for an nRF24 - it is possible you have damaged the nRF24.

BJHenry:
No. The Raw pin goes feeds into the onboard regulator, which will likely need at 4.3V to function correctly. You can feed it into the Arduino VCC pin.
Robin2 has already addressed this:

Can you suggest me a simple way to power the nrf from the battery?

gtsol:
Can you suggest me a simple way to power the nrf from the battery?

Robin2:
I power my nRF24s from a 1S LiPo with a small diode between the battery and the nRF24.

BJHenry:

what diode?

gtsol:
what diode?

I imagine something like a 1N4001 or 1N4004 would be fine.

BJHenry:

Yes.

Well, my nRF24s have not failed yet :slight_smile:

...R

BJHenry:

I have some laying around.Ill try it!