NRF24L01 - How do i know it's working? lol

Hi all, been a while...

I am trying to setup two NRF24L01 modules with a couple of nano's (well ch340s to be precise and yes i've checked the 3.3v supply with an external supply - still seems to work). I do have a legit nano at my disposal too...

Anyhow.. I desoldered the pins from two of the transceivers and had no luck (then realised radio.available() was for incoming). Anyway couldn't seem to get those working.. threw those nanoes and the radios soldered to them back in the cupboard.. came back later tonight and tried again with another couple of nanos and radios using the nano break out board..

So nano one.. 3.3v supply ended up being over 4V lol so i'm just going to assume that radio is fried...

Second nano was 3.2V so near enough, little pin 13 LED blinks when it hits the radio.write() code...

But here's the thing.. in earlier experiments my receiver wasn't working. I've no idea if the radios themselves are even working - EG are the pin pads sensitive to heat from the iron and could that have destroyed the radio chip while desoldering?

Do these radios have any onboard SMD LEDs? - cos i'm seeing nothing light up so can't really debug any RX code if i can't even be sure the other one is TX'ing in the first place. Mewanwhile i've got through 4 radios in the last few days (threw one in the bin cos the iron damaged a SMD component), two with wires soldered i can't test until i know the radios with pin headers work and code and then I have the other that got hit with over 4V lol.

So how do i know the thing is even powered up properly and working?

Thanks,

T

Nano 3.3V regulators do not supply enough current for the radios.

Robin2's simple rf24 tutorial may have information that you can use. His examples are what I use as the basis for my rf24 radio code.

But do they have any onboard LEDs to indicate they're working?

Twixy:
But do they have any onboard LEDs to indicate they're working?

Its makes little difference if they did.

The transmit output stages could be damadged or the connection to the antenna could be missing.

An LED is not going to know that.

Best way of telling if a NRF24L01 transmitter is working properly is with a NRF24L01 receiver that is working properly.

and yet I have no realistic way of know if the RX works unless i can tell if its powered up ...

Once again.. is there ANY form of LED that shows ANY type of status on these things?

Stop being so cryptic and just answer the question please. Thanks.

There are no leds on the module.

If you fear you have damaged your modules, throw them away and get new ones.

For Nanos there is a very cheap prototype board, that has sockets for the NRF and X-Bee.

nanonrf.png

nanonrf.png

In #29 of Robin2's tutorial (linked in #1 of current thread) there's a diagnostics sketch.

I'm not sure "exactly" what the output tells us, or how robust a test it is, but there's this:

If the numbers are mostly 0x00 or 0xff it means that the Arduino is not communicating with the nRF24

Thank you Whandall and Anthony.

I'm trying to avoid proto boards as i need to fit this into a confined environment along with a couple of relays, a PSU and the nano itself obviously. The space is limited in the bottom of a pump equipped garden sprayer so need to condense it as much as possible but might look at the NRF breakout boards as they have a 3.3V regulator.

I'm trying to test using minimal power at the moment (several guides online showing it can be done even if not ideal) so i literally just want to establish that it works, get the code written and then i'll look into upping the power.

Many thanks for your replies.