nRF24L01+ only working with some power supplies

Hello,

On the receiver side, I'm using an Attiny85 with a nRF24L01 module to control an Led strip via a Mosfet. At first, I was powering the Led strip with it's 12V power adapter and the other components with the 3.3V line of an FTDI breakout board, for testing everything. Up to this point everything works well.
Now I would like to power everything through this 12V 2A power supply and so I used a step-down converter (one of these), configured to 3.3V to power the components. The Attiny starts without a problem and the leds light up for a moment, which I programs to see if everything starts up. But now it doesn't receive anything.
If I only switch the supply back, it works well again.

The only thing I found when searching in the web for a quite long time was to connect a big capacitor (maybe the coverter can't deliver the current for receiving that fast), but that did't work.

I have no idea what could be the problem. It would be awesome if there is anybody, who could help me solving that.

Thank you very much!

I don't know anything about those converters. I can't see anything in the description that would rule them out.

The usual advice is to put a 10µF capacitor across Vcc and GND for the nRF24.

I have successfully used an LD1117 voltage regulator to provide 3.3v for an Atmega 328 and an nRF24. If you need something small there is an SOIC version which is still big enough for conventional soldering.

...R

Thanks for your answer!

I forgot to mention that I used a capacitor across Vcc and GND. I only used 47uF, that I had on hand, but I think that shouldn't be a problem.

The reason why I used a step down converter was, that I searched for an efficent way to power this thing, because I want to use this 24/7. (I know a normal voltage regulator wouldn't need that much extra energy)

If there is no other option, I will probably use an LD1117 or something similar, but it's very weird, that everything besides the module work without a problem.

phil17:
If there is no other option, I will probably use an LD1117 or something similar, but it's very weird, that everything besides the module work without a problem.

It would probably be worth trying an LD1117 to see if the problem goes away. If so it would point to a problem with your voltage converter.

...R

Did u check using an Arduino board?

I ordered some AMS1117 3.3 voltage regulators and tested the circuit with that and now it works without a problem.
I still don't know why it didn't worked with the step-down modules, but I will now use these voltage regulator.

Anyways thank you very much for your help!