nrf24l01 range increase

Hi

I am using nrf24l01 at transmitter side and nrf24l01+pa+lna at receiver side.

both are placed in closed condition. but transmitter nrf24l01 is covered with epoxy and placed inside the box and kept outside the house, receiver is kept inside the box and placed inside the house.

Device are working fine with 10meters range.

I need 20 meters range. what will be the solution can anyone please help me

You should be successful if you use a high-power nRF24 (with external antenna) for one of the unit.

Really, you should solve all technical problems before anything is encapsulated in epoxy. The orientation of the PCB antenna matters.

Maybe do some separate tests with duplicate hardware - with no epoxy.

...R

Robin2:
You should be successful if you use a high-power nRF24 (with external antenna) for one of the unit.

Really, you should solve all technical problems before anything is encapsulated in epoxy. The orientation of the PCB antenna matters.

Maybe do some separate tests with duplicate hardware - with no epoxy.

...R

I have another device without epoxy in that i am getting range more than 20 meters

Here is my nrf24l01 code

radio.begin();
  radio.setPALevel(RF24_PA_MAX);
  radio.setDataRate(RF24_250KBPS);
  radio.setChannel(108);
  radio.openWritingPipe(talking_pipes[TRANSMITER_NUM]);

radio.stopListening();

at transmitter side i have used 10microfarad capacitor but receiver side i have not used

bmg1234:
I have another device without epoxy in that i am getting range more than 20 meters

Then it sounds as if the epoxy is the problem.

Without having your equipment to do tests with I don't think there is much more I can say. Wireless problems can be difficult.

Maybe you would get the range if you ensure that the epoxy covering the antenna faces (front and back of PCB) is as thin as possible - a small fraction of a millimetre (like paint).

...R

bmg1234:

But thats a different device.

The only way you will know if the epoxy is causing a problem, is to case one up, test the range, cover it with epoxy, and then re-test the range.

srnet:
But thats a different device.

The only way you will know if the epoxy is causing a problem, is to case one up, test the range, cover it with epoxy, and then re-test the range.

I tried with and without epoxy. device with epoxy i am getting around 10 meters range. device without epoxy i am getting more than 20 meters.

My epoxy was completely covering the nrf24l01 antenna. so now i am tried to remove the epoxy from antenna and check, after checking the range increased from 10 to 15 meters. but i would like to get range up to 20 meters

Hi,
What sort of epoxy?
Why didn't you use nrf24l01+pa+lna at both ends to make sure the path losses were even.
The aerial is the most important part of the system if you are looking for range.

These devices are a two way communication system, if one direction is limited by lower power and poor antenna then the link will be as good as that weakest link.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Why didn't you use nrf24l01+pa+lna at both ends to make sure the path losses were even

One side i am using 3.3v battery and device will be in sleep mode always then there is an interruption device wakes up and sends data. Main thing is battery life. nrf24l01+pa+lna consumes more power than normal nrf24l01

I point to this link not to suggest that you run out and get some application specific epoxy, but just to point out that epoxy potting will definitely affect an RF circuit.

Using a radio with external antenna, as several posters have suggested, is probably the best solution.

I assume that you are potting in epoxy for environmental protection of the electronics. You don't need to pot the PCB antenna part. but you do need to pay attention to orientation of the modules.

The OP needs to understand the fact that radio waves propagate differently depending on the medium they are moving through. The standard is space as a vacuum. Then there is propagation in air, which is a bit slower than space propagation. Propagation of RF through epoxy is a whole lot slower than air.

Each time the medium changes, the RF experiences diffraction and loss. Your equipment is designed to propagate the RF signal through air. Anything not air means there is loss. Your design goes through epoxy of unknown RF characteristics and then must transfer to air. So, there are two times the RF must pass through a media interface.

Exactly the same scenario applies to the received signal in the reverse direction.

Paul