NRF24L01+ range question

Hello people,

I needed to ask a question that I can't seem to find an answer to on Google.(yes there are those).

I want to transmit data from roof top of my apartment to the ground floor. The building is a 5 storey construction about 200m I think.

What I can't find out is whether the NRF24L01+ can transmit vertically with same capability as horizontal. Please advise me what are the options I can use.

Regards
Rajdeep Rath

It depends on the Antenna and its radiation pattern. At worst you will have to turn the degrees to get the same radiation pattern vertically as you get horizontally.

Edit

I needed to ask a question that I can't seem to find an answer to on Google.(yes there are those).

Yes but not in this case. Top hit when I searched:-
https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/question/55202/nrf24l01-pcb-antenna-pattern/

I meant I didn’t find much on vertically transmission experiment with this module . :).

Btw what if I but the variation module the one which comes with a antenna connector and a black high gain antenna?

Like so : https://www.amazon.in/MagiDeal-Magideal-NRF24L01-Wireless-Transceiver/dp/B073CPXMBW?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=51596b96-a133-41ee-bbd2-dc474941243b

rajdeeprath:
I want to transmit data from roof top of my apartment to the ground floor. The building is a 5 storey construction about 200m I think.

You have not provided the most important information - do you want to transmit inside the building through all the walls and floors, or outside the building where there is a clear line of sight between the two antennas?

If you want to transmit the signal through the building fabric I doubt if any 2.4GHz wireless would be suitable. Maybe try a HC12 which works at 433MHz IIRC. Or maybe a LoRa system would be better. I have no experience of LoRa but I believe it is capable of very long ranges at low data rates.

If the transmission is outside with clear line of sight then I suspect a pair of high-power nRF24s (with the external antenna) would be suitable.

...R

Ah ok so I see. I thought if the antenna was mounted high and there was open space on roof I would be able to get it in ground floor without line or sight. Like my router signal. But may be I was wrong.

rajdeeprath:
Hello people,

What I can't find out is whether the NRF24L01+ can transmit vertically with same capability as horizontal. Please advise me what are the options I can use.

Regards
Rajdeep Rath

Radio waves dont care about which direction they travel in, its whats between the transmitter and receiver antennas that counts.

200m ? Are you sure ? That would make each storey around 40m high.

Ugh well then my assumption was wrong there. If I assume fresh that one floor is about 5 meters then 5*5 would be 26. So say within 50 meters then.

Darn I mixed it with swimming pool length

50m is a lot different from 200m.

However I still suspect that 2.4GHz wireless will have trouble penetrating several concrete floors. However the modules are not expensive so it would be interesting to experiment.

...R

Ok I will try and report back. Actually I have the 433 module on the way but haven’t bought the other one so I wanted to verify before buying.

Actually if you want to know, I want to transmit the water tank level info to ground floor.

rajdeeprath:
Actually I have the 433 module on the way

Then try it before spending money on anything else.

...R

Thank you

rajhdeeprath, what you might ask is 'what is the best what to send a signal from the water tank on the roof of my 5 story building to a reciver in the basement ?

we would say, if you have a wifi signal, you can use 2 ESP8266 modules and use the wifi router. you do not need to get on the internet.

or, you might be able to use the 2 ESP8266 modules to talk to each other.

if you search for the module, and use the term wall
when you google : NRF24L01+ walls
what you will find is reports from others that 2 or 3 walls in a house will decrease the signal

most of us would offer to get one, and test it and report your findings.

another way, not mentioned is powerline transmission.
you can connect to the wires that run the pump and connect in the basement. the signals have some limitations, but should be directly connected to the main power panel. this is common and parts are available.

also not mentioned, what if your antenna was on the side of the building and your other antenna was on the outside wall so that they were in line of sight ?

dave-in-nj:
also not mentioned, what if your antenna was on the side of the building and your other antenna was on the outside wall so that they were in line of sight ?

Was so mentioned ... in Reply #3 :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

...R

Hi Dave,

Antenna are not going to be in line of sight. I was hoping signal can bend an arc. Lol.

Thought of router but there is no wifi on roof and ground. I live in 4th floor so my router signal might just reach the roof but that's all.

Wire from top to bottom isn't very feasible cause I will be making a 4 level float using PVC pipes and magnetic switch sensors. The apparatus will be suspended in the tank . There will wires from that connecting to the controller in roof. It won't be possible for me to take that all the way to ground floor. That is why I am exploring wireless.