nrf24lo1

so I have a project in mind but before the nitty gritty I thought I would find out if it was possible first. the idea is to have an arduino with a numeric pad and screen (16*2 lines would do at this point) and a tranciever. this would send/recieve data from a few things in the house like a temp/humidty, my planned solar array, etc etc. I was thinking that having all this data at once might be a bit tough on the poor old arduino hence the numeric pad to type in an alternate "address" to get info from another source. so.... is it possible and is anyone willing to help me with programming or finding a link to someone who has done something similiar??

You might track down this jobber, really has 2 lines although the figure looks like 3. Try the DFRobot site for programming info.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?freeText=2144411&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=2144411

The advantage of this is it has 6 pushbutton switches, which you will probably want for a home automation system.

The transceiver is a separate matter.

yeah I saw those oes. not a bad idea but the issue becomes is this project doable? finding people close to help me get this up and running is so hardso I am left with asking for help on here. I really like the possibilities of arduino but there are restrictions too

This project is typical of Arduino applications, no big problem, you just need to take it one step at a time. Learn a little electronics, learn a little programming, learn a little hardware interfacing, play around a lot.

There might be some problem trying to mount an RF shield with transceiver on the same Arduino board as the LCD display as indicated, as the display shield sticks out a bit on the left-hand side. IE, LCD shield above RF-shield above Arduino. You would probably want an RF module that uses an antenna with a coax cable attached, or a pcb antenna, which has smaller range.

freerpg: this would send/recieve data from a few things in the house like a temp/humidty, my planned solar array, etc etc. I was thinking that having all this data at once might be a bit tough on the poor old arduino

So far it's not obvious in what respect you would be exceeding the capabilities of an Arduino or how alternate sources would help this. Perhaps it would help if you described in a bit more detail what you're trying to achieve.

The Nordic module is awesome but I’m not sure it is the best module to use as a beginner. While they are easy to use they are not nearly as common as the Xbee. You might consider using the Xbee for this reason alone. It is more expensive but there is so much community support for them and they are so ridiculously simple to use, you avoid getting bogged down needlessly.

To address the rest of the question and agree with others here, the Arduino will handle everything you want easily. What you need to be more aware of is distance from the sensor/device to your arduino. If you are using SPI for example, these devices are intended to be connected fairly close to the Arduino. As the distance increases, the line loss will impact your ability to get reliable information. This is where something like the Xbee becomes even more useful. You can use Xbee’s to transmit the data from the source back to the arduino often without any additional processor in the path depending on the signal being sent by the sensor/device.

Start by buying an Arduino go to Youtube. There is a series of videos on there by Sciguy14 that will walk you through basics to advanced and they are great videos.He even deals with a temp sensor and xbee communications.

Here’s a link to the first video:

Also, go to the “Networking, Protocols, and Devices” section, as there are multiple posts
already going on about nrf2401 and XBee.