NRF8001 Bluetooth Module sms text

Hello i found online a hackaday page that has a beeper modded with a arduino and a NRF8001 bluetooth module and some ws2812 LED's in it. So when a sms text i guess comes in the Led's come on and it vibrates a motor. I don't have a beeper my self but i do have the nrf8001 module. Problem is there is no document on the hackaday page about which sketch he/she used or what Phone app was used. Does anyone know where i can find which app and sketch i can use? I ben searching online and all i found is some Serial command app to type messages back and forth from the arduino serial monitor to the cell phone or vice versa . This this is adafruit page Click Here and this is the Hackaday page Click Here.

What I'm trying to do is turn on some Led's same way as in the site when i get a text message. I'm making a led watch. Well not a watch just a wearable wrist Led Light.

josephchrzempiec:
Problem is there is no document on the hackaday page about which sketch he/she used or what Phone app was used.

Ah well there's the rub. All you need is the phone app that gives a signal via bluetooth on receipt of SMS, and the rest is easy.

Phone problem, not Arduino. I'm not even sure you need an Arduino at the receiving end.

I think a arduino is needed to tell If it's a phone call or sms text message to display the different colors of Led's on it. But even at that i can not find a app for my phone that does this.

josephchrzempiec:
I think a arduino is needed to tell If it's a phone call or sms text message

Really? And how would you expect it to know if the phone isn't going to tell it? I suspect that time is rapidly approaching when you will find that an arduino isn't any smarter than you are, and the only way it can tell a call from a text is likely to be by the same way as you do, in which case it is redundant, and it might be down to you to think up a better use for it.

Okay Point taking. But a arduino or another micro processor is needed with the bluetooth to light up different Led colors to display Either a phone call or text message and a Email. the micro processor is the middle man without it Can't tell if a phone call comes through the bluetooth or a text message. Yes i will need a Android or IOS application for the phone side.

josephchrzempiec:
Yes i will need a Android or IOS application for the phone side.

Correct. And probably the best place to start.

I did mange to find this app for starters Google Play store. The author of application have a webapge with some Example code I'm going to give a look out Here. Thank you for the heads upon where to start looking at. I will Post a update on it.

Hello i just wanted to do a update on this Post i did mange to get the nrf8001 working on on phone using the Adafruit Library Click here. i was able to send messages from my phone to the arduino and having it output to Serial monitor. Which is great that showing it is working correctly. But in my other comment Post the Google sms text does not work that is setup for the looks like the Hc-05 module. Which that i do not have. The application will not connect to my Nrf8001 module at all. So I'm back to phase one. I have tried other applications but for some odd reason i can not get them to connect to the NRF8001 module. I also have tired going into my bluetooth settings on my phone without a app being open and trying to directly connecting to the Bluetooth module and says unable to connect. Not sure why Either many someone has a idea on how i can connect the NRF8001 module to my phone so i can get a status led signal when i get a text message?

I couldn’t get the NRF8001 Bluetooth module to work receiving sms text or any type of test what;'s so ever.

So i decided to use my old HC-05 Bluetooth module and a normal serial real sketch

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial BTSerial(10, 11); // RX | TX

void setup()
{

Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Enter AT commands:");
  BTSerial.begin(38400);  // HC-05 default speed in AT command more
}

void loop()
{

// Keep reading from HC-05 and send to Arduino Serial Monitor
  if (BTSerial.available())
    Serial.write(BTSerial.read());

// Keep reading from Arduino Serial Monitor and send to HC-05
  if (Serial.available())
    BTSerial.write(Serial.read());
}

I’m able to get the Number of the caller whiich has a + sign at the beginning then the number and below that is the message.

But the problem I’m having is that I’m only using a one line Oled 128x32 character Oled. Not sure how to able to display the phone number first then the text message. here is the sketch got the Oled

#include "U8glib.h"
U8GLIB_SSD1306_128X32 u8g(U8G_I2C_OPT_NONE);	// I2C / TWI 
void draw(void) {
  // graphic commands to redraw the complete screen should be placed here  
  //u8g.setFont(u8g_font_unifont);
  u8g.setFont(u8g_font_osb21);
  u8g.drawStr( 0, 22, "Hello World!");
}
void setup(void) {
  // flip screen, if required
  // u8g.setRot180();

// set SPI backup if required
  //u8g.setHardwareBackup(u8g_backup_avr_spi);

// assign default color value
  if ( u8g.getMode() == U8G_MODE_R3G3B2 ) {
    u8g.setColorIndex(255);     // white
  }
  else if ( u8g.getMode() == U8G_MODE_GRAY2BIT ) {
    u8g.setColorIndex(3);         // max intensity
  }
  else if ( u8g.getMode() == U8G_MODE_BW ) {
    u8g.setColorIndex(1);         // pixel on
  }
  else if ( u8g.getMode() == U8G_MODE_HICOLOR ) {
    u8g.setHiColorByRGB(255,255,255);
  }

pinMode(8, OUTPUT);
}

void loop(void) {

I’m not much of a coder more of a hard ware person. I really need help. Please someone can help me on the code side of things?

josephchrzempiec:
So i decided to use my old HC-05 Bluetooth module and a normal serial real sketch

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial BTSerial(10, 11); // RX | TX

void setup()

Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println(“Enter AT commands:”);
  B…

It is not a “normal serial real sketch”, it is a sketch for configuring HC-05 using AT commands via software serial. I believe the only way you got anything to happen at all is by connecting bluetooth to hardware serial by mistake. I guess you might be able to verify that by having a look, and checking which pins the HC-05 is connected to.

Hello Nick i did hook up the HC-05 and i was able to connect it to my cell phone and using a sms arduino app i was able to receive text message through the serial monitor.