Nubie needs help picking his first board to buy

My long-term goal is to read a barometric pressure sensor, send it to a Web page and be able to read it from my computer. I have many less ambitious things in mind too. It looks like the Ethernet application "Barometric Pressure Web-server." Will do what I want. I am just starting to learn microprocessor programming. I am willing to work my way up the learning curve, blinking lights and all. Can I get advise on which board to buy? Would maybe the Arduino 101, or the Arduino Mo Pro do?

I vote for Arduino Uno. Cheap, easy to handle and most common. When you learn more you will be able to choose board that fits your project better (if needed).

The two boards metioned are badly supported, and are only for advanced programmers and hardware nerds.

You can build a WiFi enabled weather station with e.g. a $5 WeMos D1 mini, or any other ESP8266 board.

But you should indeed start with an Uno, or an Uno starter kit (includes breadboard, LEDs, servos, etc.) Leo..

Since you're interested in Ethernet the Uno with an Ethernet shield will be a good choice. Make sure to buy an Ethernet shield with W5100 or W5500 Ethernet controller chip on it. Don't get the one with the ENC28j60. It's a little cheaper but will be more difficult to work with and the code for it uses more memory.

The only other board I would maybe consider for this is the Mega 2560 instead of Uno. The reason is that network code can easily grow to the point where the memory of the Uno is a limitation once you start adding extra features. However, the Uno is a little cheaper so you'll feel more comfortable experimenting without so much fear of letting the magic smoke out of an expensive Arduino board. The Uno will be more than sufficient for the project you want to do. You can always upgrade to a Mega later and that Uno will still be a useful thing to have on hand.

As a n00b myself I heartily recommend both Uno and Leo.

Are you going to be using a breadboard to build your prototype circuits? If so, using an Uno is going to be a pain and will cause frustration and time wasting wiring errors. Get a Nano and plug it into the breadboard. If you plan to buy a shield or two, and won't need a breadboard, then get an Uno.

Went off the rails on first try. Long-term goal is to read a barometer, & use Blue Tooth to transmit results to an Iphone. I will be doing all the beginner steps - blinking lights, etc. I am a pretty good circuit designer, but lack experience with Arduino's, & I am a beginning programmer. Which board & Shield to buy?

Bluetooth shields are actually not very common and the ones I see with a quick search are quite overpriced. It's more typical for people to just use the inexpensive Bluetooth modules. You control these from your Arduino by sending commands over serial. There is a ton of information available for how to use these with Arduino.

The benefit of the boards with the Uno form factor is you can plug a shield in. However, if you're not using a shield this board is not very convenient because you can't plug it into a breadboard for prototyping circuits. That means you end up with a spaghetti of jumper wires between your Uno and the various components you connect to it. One of the headers on the board has a non-standard spacing which makes it difficult to use with standard protoboard/stripboard when you want to solder up a permanent project (though there are specialized shields available for this). Also, the board is unnecessarily large so this makes it inconvenient for incorporating into your finished project and means the enclosure will be more expensive.

The Nano is a great little board that you can plug right into a breadboard. It's very small and has standard header spacing so you can easily use it to create a compact finished product. It's essentially all the same functionality of an Uno in a smaller, more convenient package.

What was wrong with the thread you had? So you want to throw away all that information and make people waste their time giving it to you over again? How many other forums have you posted this same question on?

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=526912.msg3593702#msg3593702

Threads merged. Do not cross-post.

How can I find my post?

Check your personal messages.

Or read this... http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=522443.msg3562413#msg3562413

How do I respond to answers I get to my post?

Click Reply or use Quick Reply.

How do I link upgrades to earlier posts?

I have no idea what you are asking.

DRZupdoc: Went off the rails on first try. Long-term goal is to read a barometer, & use Blue Tooth to transmit results to an Iphone. I will be doing all the beginner steps - blinking lights, etc. I am a pretty good circuit designer, but lack experience with Arduino's, & I am a beginning programmer. Which board & Shield to buy?

I think you're desperately trying to bite off more than you can chew.

Beginners buy an Uno, or Uno starter kit. Then, after a few months of experimenting, they upgrade.

Not sure why you want BT. The ESP8266 WiFi board I mentioned earlier can be replaced with an EP-32 based board. Both WiFi and Bluetooth. Google "Adafruit ESP-32". Not for beginners though. Leo..