Numpad question.

Hello. I am very bad at making code and i want to ask you a question. Is it possible to make numpad that logs key presses and key RELEASES. For example, if i have 8x8 numpad with keys numbered form 1 to 64. Button one is pushed, i realease it and press button number two. When i press button number two arduino logs information like "" 1 2"". Help much appreciated Cheers!

What you want to do is perfectly possible. How is the keypad wired to the Arduino ?

What you want to do is perfectly possible.

Is it? The Arduino doesn't have 64 digital input pins, so some kind of matrix will be needed, such as that supported by the Keypad library.

But, that library can only tell you if, at the time you ask, which key(s) are pressed, if any. It can trigger a key press callback, but I'm not aware of it being able to trigger a key release callback.

Is it? The Arduino doesn't have 64 digital input pins, so some kind of matrix will be needed, such as that supported by the Keypad library.

It is perfectly possible with the right hardware. What we don't know is what hardware the OP has.

For all we know the keypad is an intelligent device that outputs a number between 1 and 64 (or 0 and 63) via some sort of interface. If not that then creative use of shift registers may provide a solution to polling the rows and columns.

You will note that I did not mention using the Keypad library.

UKHeliBob: What you want to do is perfectly possible. How is the keypad wired to the Arduino ?

8X8 matrix. 8 collumns and 8 rows, 16 pinouts to arduino.

16 pinouts to arduino.

Those 16 pins will not all be INPUT pins at the same time. You will need to come up with a scheme for making some pins OUTPUT and some pins INPUT, and testing for whether the corresponding switch, at that row and column, is pressed.

That is what the Keypad library does, so you could look at that code to see how it does it.

But, the Keypad library does not trigger a callback on a key release, so that will be something you need to add to your library.