NWEBIE ALERT! Is Unhosted Application easy to achieve?

Esteemed Forum Participants and Lurkers:

I have a lot of experience with microprocessor and microcontroller systems and programming, but I have not yet had the opportunity to work with the Arduino. What I want to do is to use the Arduino board, with NO computer attached, as a smart controller for a pair of sump pumps.

Basically, my question is: If I program the basic “Blinky” program into an Arduino board, and then disconnect the board from power and from the computer … carry the board to a different place and hook up power but no computer, will it automatically run the Blinky program as the default, or is there some special programming function (vector?) that must be used to cause the Blinky (or any other canned application) to run as the power up default.

Thank you for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance with this question.
Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle PA USA

Welcome!

Yes absolutely it will continue to run. No computer required.

So old you get paid for it? Where can I get some of that??!! XD

Thank you very much Jack for your gracious response ... I guess I'll run out and buy an Arduino and give it a try.

After sending wheelbarrows of money off to the government for 50+ years, I'm finally getting a dribble back! I pray that there will still be some left when you get as old as I am!

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY! Art in Carlisle, PA USA

FYI: I just found this item on the web that just might be relevant to this thread ...

*Problem: Arduino won't run with USB disconnected * http://www.practicalarduino.com/news/id/61

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY! Art in Carlisle PA USA

This is for an Arduino without integrated USB2Serial. A standard Arduino UNO does not let your RX line floating with no USB connection.

Several of my Arduinos are running without a PC connection for months without any problem. You just have to supply them with enough power :-).

webtest: FYI: I just found this item on the web that just might be relevant to this thread ...

*Problem: Arduino won't run with USB disconnected * http://www.practicalarduino.com/news/id/61

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY! Art in Carlisle PA USA

Have never seen that happen, but the article is a few years old and I've only been fooling with this stuff for less than two years. I have "official" Arduinos, clones, breadboarded chips, and custom boards that all run just fine on their own, well, when I do my part right that is XD After all, that is sort of the point. What kind of microcontrollers did you work with?