NXT Motor Shield for Arduino

Hi guys,

I am new to this place. Recently I want to learn to design a simple PCB and found that a Lego NXT Motor shield would be a fun project. I got the NXT kit not long ago and I actually want to control the motors for other project, eg. a project like :
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1221664564/
I have 6 NXT Motors at home and I want to build a shield that is dedicated to control these motors (with NXT female connectors on the shield )

I wonder if anyone can give me some suggestions? ( eg. What should I look into? Should I use a MUX chip? )

Thanks alot.

-maybe

I would assume that the NXT motors are PWM driven, if they are, the arduino Uno/Dumeilanovae/Diecemilia only have 6 PWM outputs, which would fit your purposes perfectly. As far as designing a PCB, I would suggest grabbing a bit of protoboard and making your shield on that then move to something like EagleCad to design the PCB.

nope, looks like they're controlled with an i2c interface

But I have tried to control the motor with two pwm pins and additional L293d chips and it seems to work.

I dont want to use all the pwm pins on the arduino and I want to learn to design a simple mux shield(motor expansion board).

I dont know if I should choose the I2C or SPI and just a Mux chip to design such a shield, any ideas?

Thanks.

-maybe

Lego Mindstorms NXT - Wikipedia Thats the pinout, seems to be I2C

I have made a NXT Motor Shield. Look in this post for details: NXT Motor Shield - #2 by Lauszus - Robotics - Arduino Forum