Object Tracking and Graphing

I have a question on how to track an object via wireless and in a busy room (gym). The idea is to track a barbells vertical path (ie for olympic and powerlifts). My thoughts were to use a Wii IR receiver and attach IR diodes to the end of the barbell then plot the coordinates in x-y.

Would something else be an easier method (ping sensing maybe?) The issue is the bar can displace from floor to 8 ft off the ground. (assume the wii sensing bar is placed 3-4 off the ground on an adjustable stand).

Thanks!

Pixy might be able to do it. Put a coloured dot on the end of the barbell which is different to all the background colours. If you're sure the barbell will stay in the same X-Y plane then this is doable. If the lifter takes a step towards the camera then all the calibrations will be wrong due to parallax.

An ultrasonic sensor might be able to do it. You know how some quadcopters have an altitude sensor on the bottom?

MorganS:
Pixy might be able to do it. Put a coloured dot on the end of the barbell which is different to all the background colours. If you're sure the barbell will stay in the same X-Y plane then this is doable. If the lifter takes a step towards the camera then all the calibrations will be wrong due to parallax.

An ultrasonic sensor might be able to do it. You know how some quadcopters have an altitude sensor on the bottom?

Thats a good point. I was looking at the wii sensing technology and that is viable too but i will definitely check out the ultrasonic sensor.

Can the object tracked via a Wii sensing bar be plotted in a line fashion so I could see the objects movement pattern?

Accurate tracking in a small area is probably somewhat difficult as similar questions are frequently asked with no easy solutions ever posted.

So the more and more i study about the wii camera/remote the more it makes sense to use it. There is nothing that can come close. Mount it to my stationary device and track an ir emitter on the bar? Then log the x-y data and display.