Obstacle Avoiding Robot with Arduino Uno R3 and Adafruit Motor Shield v1

I am fairly new to Arduino world. Today, I have successfully completed creating my first robot with Arduino. I have gone through numerous tutorials on the web and got help from them. But, I must say, most of the tutorials are either video based or incomplete/inappropriate.

So I thought of writing a blog on how I created the Arduino Robot. I would like to share the link of the blog post here.

Hope this helps newbies like me to kick start Robotics!

I agree it can be hard to find all the information a person needs to build and program a robot.

I'm curious about a couple details of your project. What kind of motors are you using and what kind of "9v rechargeable battery" are you using?

If the rechargeable 9V battery is the same size as the 9V batteries found in smoke detectors I'm surprised it works well as a power source for your robot.

Is your battery composed of NiMH cells? Have you measured the voltage? I'm curious how many smaller cells are inside. Normal 9V batteries have 6 tiny cells inside. I'd think a NiMH 9V would require an extra cell to make up for the voltage difference between alkaline cells and NiMH cells.

I don't suppose you have any pictures of your robot? Or even better, video?

DuaneDegn: I agree it can be hard to find all the information a person needs to build and program a robot.

I'm curious about a couple details of your project. What kind of motors are you using and what kind of "9v rechargeable battery" are you using?

If the rechargeable 9V battery is the same size as the 9V batteries found in smoke detectors I'm surprised it works well as a power source for your robot.

Is your battery composed of NiMH cells? Have you measured the voltage? I'm curious how many smaller cells are inside. Normal 9V batteries have 6 tiny cells inside. I'd think a NiMH 9V would require an extra cell to make up for the voltage difference between alkaline cells and NiMH cells.

I don't suppose you have any pictures of your robot? Or even better, video?

Thanks DuaneDegn for suggesting the missing points. I would definitely incorporate a descriptive parts list along with 'Buy Now' links to Amazon in my blog. Battery and Motors are 2 important items to elaborate, I agree.

Unfortunately I ended up with the Robot at midnight here in India and couldn't edit the recorded video :) . I already had the plan to add the video at the end of the blog.

I just wanted to make a single-page guide, which will help newbies create the robot, without looking around for the missing/untold parts. Thanks again for helping me to make it more perfect.

DuaneDegn: Is your battery composed of NiMH cells? Have you measured the voltage? I'm curious how many smaller cells are inside. Normal 9V batteries have 6 tiny cells inside. I'd think a NiMH 9V would require an extra cell to make up for the voltage difference between alkaline cells and NiMH cells.

Duane, some Ni-Cd and Ni-MH 9V batteries are made of 6 cells, and some are made of 7. When I bought a 9V Ni-Cd a while ago, I ensured it was a 7-cell battery before buying it. About 10V fully charged, fresh off the charger, but quickly drops to 8.4V.

Edit: And I agree, a 9V battery isn't really suitable. Only a couple of hundred mAh. In that size case, at 9V, the individual cells are just too small.