Ocelot comparison for speed and contact closure

Hi
Brand new to the Arduino community and have been looking for something along these lines, to improve my electronic skills.

I do some home automation using Homeseer,Ocelot and X10.

The communication between Ocelot and Homeseer can be very slow over a second sometimes.

Could I use the Arduino to handle contact closure and improve speed???

As far as I am aware Homeseer doesn’t have a Arduino plugin. However I have a third party webserver plugin so I cand pass info as a HTTP request, am I right in thinking in thinking the Arduino software language can make HTTP requests???

thanks for all advice
Jasemilly

Could I use the Arduino to handle contact closure and improve speed???

I think yes, but depends on all tech factors you didn’t tell

HTTP Requests → 100% YES

You need to provide more information about the systems (URL). and give more detail about the your application and describe the role of the Arduino more explicit.

You would need a network interface. Ethernet and WiFi are commonly used. Some Arduinos have network interfaces built in, others can have them added by installing an extra shield or external card. There is a standard Ethernet library which can be used to send and receive network traffic via these interfaces. You would have to write your own code to deal with the HTTP protocol on top of the basic network connection, but it’s not hard to do and there are plenty of examples.

Ok great the programming I can bang my head against a wall until it works :sweat_smile: Thats how it usually works for me.

The Ocelot is connected via a usb to serial interface this and there is a delay as the Ocelot runs through it's program and speaks back to homeseer. I have built my own custom page that makes http requests to homeseer and this is much quicker to respond.

Is it fair to assume that using Arduino will be faster than Ocelot, I realise there are many factors to this question. But could I assume it would be? Arduino faster processor than Ocelot and using a Gigabit network instead of a serial connection?

thanks

jasemilly:
Is it fair to assume that using Arduino will be faster than Ocelot

I don't know anything about Homeseer or Ocelot but you say you already know that the HTTP interface to Homeseer is fast enough for what you need. If all the Arduino is doing is reading an input state and sending an HTTP request then the only extra delay the Arduino would introduce would be any debounce time needed to read your switch. I don't see why you'd need to debounce for longer than a few tens of milliseconds.