Odd IC identification

Looks like there's a ton of them and there are at least two layers of them.

I heated the chip on a hot plate and used a heat gun to 100C, that had no effect on the rubber coating.
I pushed up to 200C, still no effect.
I'm afraid to push it past 200C as I don't want any solder to start flowing.

Looks like I will need to go chemical to strip it.
Acetone, Mineral Spirits, Denatured Alcohol. Anyone have any ideas?
@LarryD I'd love your valuable opinions on this thread, if you have a moment.

E3 appears to be a diode, not a resistor as I incorrectly stated earlier.

1 Like

Acetone seems like the right stuff.

Wow, that solvent does everything. Shame my parents won't let me keep a can of it seeing that it's toxic and basically an incendiary if it catches fire.

IT is both! Lots of ventilation! Rubber gloves required, but they might also dissolve.
Paul

3 Likes

All great tips! Thanks.

I've done a lot of metal recycling so I have plenty of Pyrex glassware and glass pipettes, chemical resistant gloves, and I work outside in a respirator and googles with a fan to my back. I want to build a fume hood eventually as I'd like to condense the gas waste. I'm good about the solid and liquid wastes though. I neutralize, condense, and dispose of them properly. No metal solution pollution ever.

I just don't have the acetone on hand and I usually work with HCl and HNO3, but I ordered some and it will be here in a few days.

Any store that sells paint, will sell acetone in metal cans.
Paul

I rarely leave my property, except to visit my neighbors. I do sustenance farming and teach online. Sometimes I go 3 or 4 months without leaving. It's nice back here in my wooded patch.

Wow! How do you get deliveries of anything?
Paul

Amazon has next day delivery here and Walmart gets things here in 2-4 days. There is a large beef farm a mile away so I buy a side of beef when needed. I have a friend who brings me a deer and a couple dozen ducks every year, and I have chickens for eggs and meat. I grow veggies around the house and outside when I can. I bake and cook most everything else. I brew mead, wine, and beer. I built a root cellar for mushrooms and potatoes

This is what I did for Thanksgiving this year. I did buy the turkey though.

3 Likes

I am really impressed!

1 Like

It's funny, I work really hard so I can save money and be very lazy the rest of the time and have plenty of time to do stuff like this. In a given week I might spend 20 hours on farm, home, and animals, and do 12 hours of billables. Leaves me lots of time to read up on electronics and spend time on here. That's how I made regular in my first 100 days.
It's odd what drives us sometimes.
On the same topic, can you or anyone recommend a good all inclusive book for electronics that is available on Kindle?

2 Likes

A book on electronics is out of date by the time it is printed. Best start with fundamentals, if you haven't already.
Paul

1 Like

I have.
I learn best from a project based approach, but the abundance of mistakes, misinformation, and diversified styles makes it difficult to trust everything you read on the internet. I understand quite a bit from my reading and my experience here but there are some decent sized gaps in my understanding.
For instance I am working on a ballistics chronometer and I'm using two lines of IR sensor bulbs to create a wide gate on each end. I plan on using voltage comparators to create a digital level from each sensor. I can use an 8 wide or gate to combine the signals, but I'm wondering if there is a better way such as a much wider voltage comparator or a standard way of combining those inputs that I've missed due to inexperience.
Also, I'm sorely undereducated about using inductors.
I had a good book that I started reading many moons ago, Electronics the easy way, but it and most of the rest of my stuff was destroyed in a flood. The author never updated the book nor ported it to kindle so I'm seeking a replacement.
The modern stuff is much easier for me to understand, but I need to flesh out my fundamental electronics education as you suggest.

2 Likes

I was at my ham radio station working some stations using FT8, digital, and looking at my book case and thinking about you. I am sure you won't find it on Kindal, but anywhere you can find a amateur radio handbook by the ARRL, American Radio Relay League, will give you all the electronics education reading you can handle. From the fundamentals to the latest solid state stuff.
I know if you look on Ebay and get one from the last 10-15 years you will do well.
Paul

1 Like

I saw this one by the ARRL, have you read it?

I used to build Heathkits, but that was more about following instructions carefully.
I had a license and used to do stuff with the old salts in my radio club many moons ago. They were more interested in teaching operations and antenna design than in the basic electronics that I needed to learn but amazing experience none the less.
I participated in a project where they propagated a signal around the planet and an EME comms. Those were the two most interesting projects that I can remember.

My call sign ended in KMC and I used to announce it as kilo-mega-cycle.

That is likely excerpts from their big handbook. Should be good. Interested in electronics as long as I can remember. Used to tear up old radios and smash the tubes to see what was inside. Unwound transformer for the wire to play with. Novice license in 1956-57. Then college and girls and etc. Restarted in about 1967.
Go for it again. No code test this time!
Paul

Looks to be 834 pages. I just ordered it :slight_smile:
Finishing another book recommended on this forum first: Great Book by Tom Almy - Community / Products and Services - Arduino Forum and I want to write a detailed review as it's a good book but has some issues.

I think that sounds like a great idea!
I will challenge myself to build a 2 meter radio since it's so close to FM as an opening project.
Currently working on a few projects and a tutorial on power. So when I clear one or two of those from the bench I will begin.

I certainly have the space for antenna towers. Plus I'm within a few miles of a major highway so I might meet some interesting, if temporary, friends.

Thanks a bunch

Another good (but somewhat expensive) book is The Art Of Electronics by by Horowitz and Hill. You can view chapter 9 at their web site to get an idea of their style.

1 Like

That is expensive as you said. I've added it to my saved list to check out after I finish with my ARRL book though.
I appreciate the suggestion.

What puzzles me is why the vendor chose to send you some random old chips. Do they run a paid recycling business but actually just throw the electronics into each customer's order to get rid of them?