Odd memory problem mega 2560

I am interfacing with an old mixing console. It has a z80 that handles switching on the channel strips. Switches control LEDs and audio switching.

The z80 is now due for a peaceful retirement - I have built a replacement using at present a mega 2560 totally replacing the whole z80 board. I have sucessfully connected to the console hardware - a brief overview of the console hardware:

8 motherboards
8 channels per motherboard
4 CS (Chip select) lines per channel
3 8bit PIA ports per CS

the PIA ports are a mix of buttons that are read, or latches to set the relevant switches.

I hold a bool map of the bits in each port in an array:

bool consoleDataTree[TOTAL_MOTHERBOARDS][MOTHERBOARD_CHANNELS][NUMBER_OF_CS_LINES][PIA_PORTS][8] = {false};

this is a bool array, so a calculation says that is 6,144 bits of memory used.
Before I add the next function, my sketch compiles fine at 30% dynamic memory - there is already allot of code.

Next is my command map function it will have about 50 different commands in it. It is called from a script that analyses any button press on the console hardware - i will also use it for a new keypad controller and midi. Even with just these few currently commented lines - it fails to complile and reports 130% dynamic memory use....

void commandSendData(uint8_t MB, uint8_t CH, uint8_t  CS, uint8_t PORT, uint8_t BIT, uint8_t commandId)
{
  consoleDataTree[MB][CH][CS][PORT][BIT] = !consoleDataTree[MB][CH][PORT][BIT];   // toggle the switch state - toggle the button event in memory

switch (commandId)
  {
    // INPUTS
    case 0:

break;
    // GROUPS
    case COMMAND_GROUP_BUTTON_GROUP_MUTE:       // write TO the relevant PIA ports - update the relevant bits

//      consoleDataTree[MB][CH][1][0][2] = consoleDataTree[MB][CH][CS][PORT][BIT];  // SWITCH GROUP MUTE - this compiles at 30%
//      consoleDataTree[MB][CH][1][0][3] = consoleDataTree[MB][CH][CS][PORT][BIT];  // LED GROUP MUTE - compiles at 30%
      // send to pia
//      writeToPiaPort(MB, CH, 1, 0);   // this compiles at 67%
      break;
  }
}

with all three uncommented it reports 130%. Im scratching my head.

Type 'boolean' takes up one byte each. That means 6144 BYTES of memory.

You could store each port (eight bits) as a byte:

byte consoleDataTree[TOTAL_MOTHERBOARDS][MOTHERBOARD_CHANNELS][NUMBER_OF_CS_LINES][PIA_PORTS] = {false};

That would get you back down to 768 bytes.

doh. I saw somewhere it was a bit, but i see you are right.... I will do that right now.

but its odd is it not that it compiles happily with the array declared. It compiles but only falls over when there are multiples uncomented. I would like to understand why this is happening.

The compiler is very smart. If you only use a few entries in a large array, it just throws away the values you don't use. That save a lot of memory space. :slight_smile:

Is this intentional?

yes. as a button is pressed, it toggles the switch. This is my toggle.

I see

Indexing does not match, right and left. So, whatever that line does, it does not appear to simply "toggle".

well spotted

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.