Official GSM Shield Help

Hello,

I am trying to get my GSM shield set up so that I can send and receive text messages. I have an ATT Go Phone SIM set up with text messages, and it will send and receive messages on a cell phone. I put the SIM into my GSM shield, and I cannot connect to the network. I have called ATT and got the pin for my SIM, and am using that in my sketches. My problems are below.

When I run TestModem, the board checks my IMEI number, and it matches what is on the board. It then tells me that the modem is functioning properly.

When I run GsmScanNetworks, I get:

GSM networks scanner
Not connected
Not connected

When I run PinManagement, I get:

Change PIN example

PIN & PUK locked. Use PIN2/PUK2 in a mobile phone.

When I run TestGPRS, I get: Connecting GSM network...ERROR

Any ideas what I can do to get this set up and working?

Thanks in advance!

Try:

PIN: (nothing) APN: phone username: (nothing) password: (nothing)

You may need to call and give then the IMEI off the shield for them to unlock it.

I would HIGHLY suggest using the SIM that came with the shield first, if only to confirm your code works. The GoPhone SIM is a mixed bag.

I will give that a try tomorrow. I am also going to try my Virgin Mobile SIM tomorrow in it as well. I have to wait for my adapter to come in though. I have a micro SIM in that phone. Thank you for replying.

I tried the SIM card that came with the shield, and used their code they recommend here. I still get the “Not Connected” issue. I am not sure where to go from here.

I think that you are using the GSM Scan Networks example from Arduino if so, look at this part:

while(notConnected)
  {
    if(gsmAccess.begin(PINNUMBER)==GSM_READY)
      notConnected = false;
    else
    {
      Serial.println("Not connected");
      delay(1000);
    }
  }

Erase PINNUMBER and leave it like this:

while(notConnected)
  {
    if(gsmAccess.begin()==GSM_READY)
      notConnected = false;
    else
    {
      Serial.println("Not connected");
      delay(1000);
    }
  }

Serial.println("GSM initialized");
  Serial.println("Waiting for messages");
}

If that works you should erase #define PIN NUMBER "", you don't need it anymore.