Old NRF24L01 Project - Library Incompatibilities

I'm trying to build a wifi weather project based upon that provided here Arduino Wireless Temperature LCD Display (nRF24L01+ DHT11) | Elec-Cafe.Com. It's just what I need to build my project but I'm having problems with library incompatabilities. The first example was that LCD.h couldn't be found causing the compiler to fail. I updated the code to refer to the new library code format and managed to get past that problem. e.g.

//LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, 2, 1, 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 3, POSITIVE);
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27,20,4);  // set the LCD address to 0x27 for a 16 chars and 2 line display
// Addr, En, Rw, Rs, d4, d5, d6, d7, backlighpin, polarity

...where the commented out code was the original line.

However, the next compiler error is...

C:\Users\robat\Documents\Arduino\DHT11_NRF24L01_LCDSide\DHT11_NRF24L01_LCDSide.ino: In function 'void loop()':

DHT11_NRF24L01_LCDSide:41: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be

done = radio.read(temperature, sizeof(temperature));

^

exit status 1
void value not ignored as it ought to be

...and I don't know how to resolve this one. I suspect it's rererring to an out-dated library but not sure how to fix it.
Any guidance on how to resolve these compiler errors and library incompatibilities fixed will be appreciated.

The simple solution may be to use an older version of the Arduino IDE. There is no problem having several versions on your PC.

...R
Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

Guess it's a good time to learn how to program an Arduino from scratch. My end-goal is to use this NRF24L01 setup with a BME280 sensor so will need to use the latest libraries. Bite the bullet and all that.

...but even if wanted to instal an old IDE version, based on the project date of about December 2015, which previous version would be appropriate? ...as there don't appear to be any dates on the previous downloads page.

1.6.5.r2 was a good build.
Why go older?

robatbentley:
Guess it's a good time to learn how to program an Arduino from scratch.

That's why I included my link :slight_smile:

...R