Old stepper motor Pinout?

i found an old stepper motor from an old scanner it has 5 wires black,orange/brown,blue,yellow and white it is made by Mototech and is a S42T6 any help on the pinouts of this motor?

Measure it with a resistance meter. You will see one common wire where the resistance to the other four is the same. This goes to the positave the other four to the pull down drivers. Just swap them arround until it works.

Did you try a google search? Things often pop right up, give it a shot.

Just did this Black-Obviously Ground Orange,blue,yellow-60 or 0.6k Ohms average White-30 or 0.3k Ohms average

Anything else on the label?

Its almost certainly a 5-wire unipolar stepper motor, and there will be 4 windings to a common lead, all should be the same resistance, probably in the 10 to 50 ohm range. What is the voltage to the motor (it might say somewhere in the scanner) - often 12V, 24V or around that.

If it is a 5-wire unipolar then none of the leads will be ground though.

Black-Obviously Ground

No there is no ground on a stepping motor.

its most likely to be a unipolar it has 4 wires the same resistance and one with different resistance, also the scanner was 12v, can i still use this is if use a NPN bipolar junction transistor to divert 9v to the motor?

The typical way to drive these is with a darlington array with free-wheel diodes like the ULN2803, but any switches will do if they can handle the voltage and currents involved and there are the relevant diodes.

Hello, I came across stepper motor from (probably) old fax machine. Motor has sticker with "Mototech S35V2". Google couldn't help me.

The motor has 4 wires, brown, orange, yellow and black (in order). I suppose it should be bipolar. I have measured 5 ohms between brouwn-orange and the same between yellow-black. There is no other resistance (= infinite) between any other combination.

Am I right in the presumption that this is bipolar? In case it is, don't you have a link to some basic tutorial on how it works? Basic = for dummies XD

Thanks for answer(s)

Pavouk106: ... In case it is, don't you have a link to some basic tutorial on how it works? Basic = for dummies XD

Thanks for answer(s)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4738199_wire-stepper-motor.html#page=0

Just got a same stepper (MOTOTECH S4T6) working in bi-polar mode, so I'm putting up the settings for future reference: coil 1: Black + Orange coil 2: Blue + Yellow +12: White

and here's a sample code:

int pinBlack = 4;
int pinOrange = 5;
int pinBlue = 6;
int pinYellow = 7;
int delayTime = 5;

void setup() {
//serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(pinBlack, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(pinOrange, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(pinBlue, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(pinYellow, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(pinBlack, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(pinOrange, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(pinBlue, LOW);
  digitalWrite(pinYellow, LOW);
  delay(delayTime);
  digitalWrite(pinBlack, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(pinOrange, LOW);
  digitalWrite(pinBlue, LOW);
  digitalWrite(pinYellow, HIGH);
  delay(delayTime);
  digitalWrite(pinBlack, LOW);
  digitalWrite(pinOrange, LOW);
  digitalWrite(pinBlue, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(pinYellow, HIGH);
  delay(delayTime);
  digitalWrite(pinBlack, LOW);
  digitalWrite(pinOrange, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(pinBlue, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(pinYellow, LOW);
  delay(delayTime);
}

Arduino99: Just did this Black-Obviously Ground

Nope, black obviously not ground nor common.

Orange,blue,yellow-60 or 0.6k Ohms average White-30 or 0.3k Ohms average

60 is 0.06k, not 0.6k

Each winding is 30 ohms, now you have to work out the current rating...

White is the common wire, goes to positive supply, the other four are driven from an ULN2803