Old UNO sketch problem

I did my first project in 2014 and it has been working well on the few occasions it has been used. It is a UNO sketch for an autonomous fishing torpedo (bait boat). Last month I took it to the beach and it activated the line drop function after about 100m of travel (it had been set for 600m). If it had erroneously recognised the return waypoint it should have also turned around and headed back to shore, but it did not and just sailed off into the sunset. It was eventually found and returned to me.
I have checked the electronics and the motor and can not find any problem.
I am thinking of two possibilities:
1: I believe that there was some change to the GPS system a year or two ago. Could that cause the D2523T GPS receiver to misbehave?
2: The system is only powered on very occasionally. I have read something about the storage of the sketch having a limited lifetime. Could the storage of the sketch software in the UNO have developed errors?

Anyway, I tried to update the UNO sketch but ran into problems because of the age of the project, the original IDE will not un on my Mac computer with OS11.3.1. I have been told by Chiedozie Nwankwo from Auruino Support to try IDE 1.8.3 and to post the issue on this forum.

If I run IDE 1.8.3 with my original sketch, I get errors “no such file or directory” at the point of include< >.

If you can help with updating the Include< > library problem please let me know, I will then send you the full sketch to play with.
Thank you.

When you see a “No such file or directory” error it almost always means you need to install the library that contains the missing file.

Often the code you’re compiling will come with documentation (either a comment or separate document) that tells you where to get the library dependencies.

Note that libraries may have dependencies on other libraries.

In other cases the author of the code will not have been so kind and you’ll need to go on a hunt for the missing library.

A good place to start is the Arduino IDE’s Library Manager:

1. Select Sketch > Include Library > Manage Libraries… from the Arduino IDE’s menus.
  2. In the “Filter your search…” box, type some keywords you have gleaned from the missing file name.
  3. Scroll through the results for the right library. Click on it.
  4. Click the Install button.
  5. Wait for the installation to finish.
  6. Click the Close button.
  7. Try compiling your code again.

If you have no luck in Library Manager then load up your favorite search engine and do a search for the missing filename. You will often get multiple results. If you have a lot of results you might add "arduino" as an additional search keyword. I will usually prefer results from github.com since that is where most Arduino libraries are hosted and downloading from there is fast and easy. In some cases there will be multiple libraries that contain the given filename and you’ll need to do some evaluation to determine which seems the most appropriate, then try it out.

After downloading the library you found, you’ll need to install it. This requires a different process than the Library Manager installation. You will find instructions here:

Hi,

Did you leave your torpedo switched on long enough for the GPS to acquire the number of satellites it needs to work accurately.

Did you program any Serial comms to look at the program functioning.
If the GPS is connected to the programming Tx/Rx pins, you should be able to see data if you plug a terminal monitor into it.

Tom… :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Post the sketch now. It may be obvious to someone here, from the context, which libraries are required.

I tried to put the sketch in this reply but got a message " new users can only put 2 link in a post"
What is that about?

Hello TomGeorge
Thanks for your response. The GPS must get a good lock before the motor will start, so I do not think that is the problem. I also did a test where I identified a location (traffic roundabout) using Google Earth and noted the angle and distance from the fishing torpedo’s location .
I then entered the distance & angle into the torpedo and noted the resulting lat. & long. calculation (which is displayed on the LCD screed before the motor starts). Inputing this lat & long into Google Earth showed the target to within about 5 meters. So that part seems OK.

I am trying to re-install the sketch into the UNO in case the code has corrupted with age and very infrequent power on. I believe that the problem is the libraries (name & serial etc), but I have forgotten how to include the correct libraries. It has been almost 8 years since I wrote this sketch (my first & only Arduino project). Being 75 years old is not helping me either. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Hi, 64yo here , a youngster… :grinning: :+1: :grinning:

The directions given by @pert will help you to install the libraries need to the IDE.

It would be good if you posted your code and the errors returned when trying to compile, we possibly can help to get it to compile.

Thanks… Tom… :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:
PS, Just go up from grandad nap this afternoon, had Astra shot a couple of days ago.

Here is my sketch:

#include <NewSoftSerial.h>

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
#include <nmea.h>
#include <PWMServo.h> // The other servo library conflicts with newsoft serial
#undef round

NewSoftSerial nss(2, 3);

PWMServo steerservo;
PWMServo speedservo;

NMEA gps(GPRMC); // GPS data connection to GPRMC sentence type
int d; // relative direction to destination

int ledn=0;          //navigation LEDS
int lednPin = 8;      // navigation LEDS at pin 8
//int potpin = 0; // analog pin used to connect the potentiometer
int releasePin=3;
int ol=6; //overload is High on pin 6
int lv =11;  // low voltage detect on pin 11
int dis; // variable to read the value from the analog pin
int soff;   // steering offset
int lvr;  // low volts in return leg (so it only flashes the LEDs once in the loop)
long mst;  // motor start time

//int compin=1; // Wiper of compas potentiometer connected to analogue pin A1
float comrad;
float wp1lat; // for the calculated waypoint latitude  
float wp1lon; // for the calculated waypoint longitude
float lat, lon;
float hlat; //home latitude
float hlon; // home longitude
float  Home_latitude;
float Home_longitude;
float dest_latitude;
float dest_longitude;
float distance;
int pset=0; // set home position once only
int k=0; // used in a while loop
int wptRange; //Set to desired waypoint radius in meters

int heading;
float speed;
int fast;  // running too fast >8km/hr
int slow;   //running too slow <6km/hr

int faster=0;
int slower=0;
int sterof =0;
float ct=90;  // set the motor power at start.. 90 is the mid point (for Pololu controller)
  //set the start time once only
int coma; //adjusted compas heading
LiquidCrystal lcd(16, 15, 5, 4, 13, 12);
int stay=0; // Stay mode when this =1
//long stayt; // timer for stay period
//int slc =0; // stay loop counter to ensure stay timer is only set the first time thru the loop.
int z=0;  
//int sto=0; // Stay mode Time Out

void setup()

{lcd.begin(16, 2); lcd.setCursor(0, 1);  // set cursor to column zero line 1
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("                 ");lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print("                "); // clear the screen
lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print("NEMO DM 1 2016"); delay(5000);

speedservo.attach(10);  //speed servo on pin 10

soff=0;      //          *************steering offset ***********
steerservo.attach(9);
steerservo.write(90+soff);   //+3 DEGREES TO CORRECT FOR BOAT RUDDER
pinMode(releasePin,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(3,HIGH); lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("Release open");   //Open release servo to attach line
delay(5000);                        // hold release servo open for 5 seconds
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("                 ");lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print("                "); // clear the screen
lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print("Release closed");
digitalWrite(3,LOW);    //Close release servo
delay(3000);
pinMode(lednPin, OUTPUT); digitalWrite(8,HIGH); //     LEDs off
pinMode(11,INPUT); // low V detetection
pinMode(6,INPUT); // pin 6 input for overload

int lvr=0; // RETURN IF VOLTAGE LOW

Serial.begin(9600);
delay(10);
nss.begin(9600);
delay(10);

//Determine the MODE
dis= analogRead(4);
dis= map(dis, 0, 1023, 0, 1000); // scale distance pot to 1500 meters 
if (dis<50) {stay =1;} else {stay=0;}  // way of recognising that stay mode is required. Done once before the travel distance is set.

// READ & SET DISTANCE 
for(int e=0; e<300; e++)
{delay(50); // delay 10 seconds to set compass reading
dis= analogRead(4);
dis= map(dis, 0, 1023, 0, 1000); // scale distance pot to 1000 meters (reduced from 1500m on 030116)
if (dis<200) {dis =200;} // Set minimum distance
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("Distance ");lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print(dis);lcd.print(" metres");}

// READ & SET COMPAS

for(int e=0; e<300; e++)
{delay(50);
coma= analogRead(4);
coma=map(coma, 0, 1023, 0, 359);
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("Compas reading ");lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print(coma);lcd.print(" degrees");}

wptRange=dis/20;  

lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("Waiting GPS lock");
if (stay==1) {lcd.setCursor(1,1);lcd.print("Stay mode");} else {lcd.setCursor(1,1);lcd.print("Return mode"); }   
delay(5000); }

//******************* end of setup ******************************************* END OF SETUP ****************************************

void loop()
{ 

do {digitalWrite(8,HIGH);
if (nss.available() > 0 ) {

char c = nss.read();
// check if the character completes a valid GPS sentence
if (gps.decode(c)) {
// check if GPS positioning was active
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(50);digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(50);digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(50);digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(50);digitalWrite(8,LOW);}}}
while (gps.gprmc_status() != 'A'); 

hlat=gps.gprmc_latitude();                            // SET THE HOME LAT & LON

hlon=gps.gprmc_longitude();
//Serial.print("Home lat "); Serial.print(hlat,7);      Serial.print(",   Home lon "); Serial.println(hlon,7);

//Serial.println("Setting the WP co ordinates");
Home_latitude =  hlat * PI/180;   // Start lat and lon (from GPS) converted into radian
  Home_longitude =  hlon * PI/180;
  comrad = coma * PI/180;       // Compass heading converted into radians
  distance = dis;                 //distance to be traveld in meters

wp1lat = asin(sin(Home_latitude) * cos(distance/6371580) + cos(Home_latitude)*sin(distance/6371580)*cos(comrad));      //6371580 IS EARTH RADIUS AT NZ

wp1lon = Home_longitude + atan2(sin(comrad)*sin(distance/6371580)*cos(Home_latitude),cos(distance/6371580)-sin(Home_latitude)*sin(wp1lat));

wp1lat = wp1lat * 180.0/PI; // convert back into degrees for Navigation functions

wp1lon = wp1lon * 180.0/PI;

//lcd.setCursor(0, 1);lcd.print("Home = "); delay(1000); lcd.setCursor(0, 1);lcd.print(hlat,7);lcd.setCursor(1,1);lcd.println(hlon,7);delay(2000);
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("waypoint = "); delay(1000);lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print(wp1lat,7); lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print(wp1lon,7); delay(2000);
Serial.print("wp = "); Serial.print(wp1lat,7); Serial.print(",");Serial.println(wp1lon,7);
delay(3000);
lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("Launch now");
//Serial.println("");
//Serial.println("=============================");

k=1; // While k=1 steer to waypoint

speedservo.write(150);// START THE MOTOR AT FULL POWER                                   
mst=millis();

//***************************************** END OF WAYPOINT CALCULATIONS ********************************** END OF WAYPOINT CALCULATIONS ****************

do {

if (nss.available() > 0 ) {

char c = nss.read();

if (gps.decode(c)) {
if (gps.gprmc_status() == 'A')

{

d = gps.gprmc_course_to(wp1lat,wp1lon) - gps.gprmc_course(); // steer for waypoint
if (ledn==0) {ledn=1;  digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(20);}              //navigation LED

if ((gps.gprmc_speed(KMPH)< 0.5) && (millis()<(mst+240000))) {steerservo.write(95);sterof=1;}  // Steer straight (with slight left bias) until there is some speed attained. 
//Only in the first 4 minutes.

if (d < 0) { d += 360; }      //convert d to + - 180 degrees
if (d > 180) { d -= 360; }

//Serial.print("d=  ");Serial.println(d);

if (d>-1 && d<1 && (sterof==0)) {steerservo.write(90+soff);}    // + is turn right  90 degrees is straight ahead

if (d>=2 && (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(85+soff);} 

if (d>5&& (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(80+soff);} 

if (d>10&& (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(65+soff);} 

if (d>20&& (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(40+soff);}

if (ledn==1) {ledn=0;  digitalWrite(8,HIGH);}

if (d<=-2&& (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(95+soff);} 

if (d<-5&& (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(100+soff);} 

if (d<-10&& (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(115+soff);} 

if (d<-20&& (sterof==0)) {
steerservo.write(140+soff);}

sterof=0;

//speedservo.write(150); // full power on all of outward leg

int ol=digitalRead(6);  
if (ol==1) {speedservo.write(90); 
delay(2000);speedservo.write(10);delay(3000);speedservo.write(90);delay(2000);speedservo.write(150); digitalWrite(8,HIGH);
delay(5000); 

for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
{digitalWrite(8,LOW); // led on for morse character A for Amp overload (dot dash)
delay (100); 
digitalWrite(8,HIGH); //end of dot
delay(100); // led off inter element gap
digitalWrite(8,LOW); delay(300);// led on for dash
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(600);}lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("Current overload");}

//if motor overload stop motor, wait 2 sec then reverse motor 3 sec,wait 2 sec, then go forward 5 second delay to allow battery V to recover after overload so 
//LV sense wont go off
ol=0;  

int lv =digitalRead(11);  // if voltage low flash LEDs, drop line & return home
if (lv==1)                   //********************************* 20 minute timer or low V on outward leg trigger abort mission
{for(int i=0; i<10; i++) 
{digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);  // first dot of character V
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(100);  //inter
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);  // 2nd dot
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);  // 3rd dot
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(100);  // inter
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(300);  // dash
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(600);}  // charater end
lcd.setCursor(1, 1);
lcd.print("Low V outward");

k=2; } //signal V then abort mission

//*************************************

// TIMEOUT when in return mode (stay=0)
z=0;
if (millis()>(mst+1500000)) {z=1;}   // Motor start time plus fixed time (25 MINUTE DELAY) IN RETURN MODE ONLY.

if (z==1 && stay==0) {for(int i=0; i<10; i++)    
{digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(300);digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(500);} //Morse character T one dash

k=2;}  //fast flash LED then abort mission

if (k==2) {digitalWrite(3,HIGH);delay(5000);digitalWrite(3,LOW); }  //signal to operate release servo for 5 seconds 
z=0;
//************************************

// IS IT IN THE ZONE for return mode
if (gps.gprmc_distance_to(wp1lat,wp1lon,MTR) < wptRange) {z=2;}

if (z==2 && stay==0) // See If its in the zone. IN RETURN MODE ONLY
 {k=2;} 

if (k==2) {digitalWrite(3,HIGH);delay(5000);digitalWrite(3,LOW); }  //signal to operate release servo for 5 seconds 
 z=0;
 //**********************************

//IS IT IN THE ZONE FOR STAY MODE (time base as distance based did not work out)

if (gps.gprmc_distance_to(wp1lat,wp1lon,MTR) < wptRange) {z=3;} else {z=4;}

if (z==3 && stay==1) {speedservo.write(90); for(int i=0; i<20; i++) // stop motor
{digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100); 
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(400); 
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100); 
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(400); 
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);}}  // delay 20 seconds to allow time to drift while keeping LED flashing

if (z==4 && stay==1) {speedservo.write(150);} // OUTSIDE THE ZONE SO START MOTOR

//lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print("z= ");lcd.print(z);

//********************************

// WHEN TO END STAY MODE

if (lv==1) {lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
lcd.print("Low V ended stay"); k=3;}

//*********************************

//lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("                 ");lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print("                "); // clear the screen
//lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("k= ");lcd.print(k);

}}}}                 
while (k==1);

//********************** END OF OUTWARD LOOP ************************************************ END OF OUTWARD LOOP ***********************

do
{if (nss.available() > 0 ) {

char c = nss.read();  // read incoming character from GPS

// check if the character completes a valid GPS sentence
if (gps.decode(c)) {
// check if GPS positioning was active
if (gps.gprmc_status() == 'A') {

{d = gps.gprmc_course_to(hlat,hlon) - gps.gprmc_course();} // steer for home
if (ledn==0) {ledn=1;  digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);}              //navigation LED

if (d < 0) { d += 360; }      //convert d to + - 180 degrees
if (d > 180) { d -= 360; }

//Serial.print("d=  ");Serial.println(d);

if (d>-1 && d<1) {steerservo.write(90+soff);}    // + is turn right  90 degrees is straight ahead

if (d>=2) {
steerservo.write(85+soff);} 

if (d>5) {
steerservo.write(80+soff);} 

if (d>10) {
steerservo.write(65+soff);} 

if (d>20) {
steerservo.write(40+soff);}

if (ledn==1) {ledn=0;  digitalWrite(8,HIGH);}

if (d<=-2) {
steerservo.write(95+soff);} 

if (d<-5) {
steerservo.write(100+soff);} 

if (d<-10) {
steerservo.write(115+soff);} 

if (d<-20) {
steerservo.write(140+soff);}
} 

speedservo.write(150); // full power on all of homeward leg

int ol=digitalRead(6);  
if (ol==1) {speedservo.write(90); 
delay(2000);speedservo.write(10);delay(3000);speedservo.write(90);delay(2000);speedservo.write(150); digitalWrite(8,HIGH);
delay(5000); 

for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
{digitalWrite(8,LOW); // led on for morse character A for Amp overload (dot dash)
delay (100); 
digitalWrite(8,HIGH); //end of dot
delay(100); // led off inter element gap
digitalWrite(8,LOW); delay(300);// led on for dash
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(500);}lcd.setCursor(0, 0);lcd.print("Current overload");}
ol=0;

if (lvr !=1) {  // LVR IS NOT = TO 1
int lv =digitalRead(11);  // if voltage low flash LEDs, just flash the leds to indicate (nothing else can be done)
if (lv==1) {lcd.setCursor(1, 1);lcd.print("Low V homeward "); lvr=1;

for(int i=0; i<10; i++) 
{digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);  // first dot of character V
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);  // 2nd dot
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(100);  // 3rd dot
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(100);  // inter
digitalWrite(8,LOW);delay(300);  // dash
digitalWrite(8,HIGH);delay(600);}}}  // character end

if (gps.gprmc_distance_to(hlat,hlon,MTR) <5)
  {k=3;} //Serial.println("at the bottom of home loop");Serial.print("k = "); Serial.println(k);

}  
}

}
while (k==2);

//************************************** END OF HOME LOOP ******************************************* END OF HOME LOOP ******************

if (k==3);
{speedservo.write(90);  // *****stop motor

for(int e=0; e<10000; e++)
{digitalWrite(8,LOW);
delay (500); 
digitalWrite(8,HIGH); 
delay(5000);}}}  // delay of about 13 hours

Hello Tom
How are you going with the Astra Zeneca shot?
We will get the Phizer (one day soon).

I have sent you the sketch for the fishing torpedo. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Regards
Noel Grant

Hello old Valve
I have sent the sketch, but don’t ask me where it went (hopefully not to North Korea).

Hi
@nogle
I think your GPS system is old thats why the problem is comming.
Or the libaries which had been used that are old and not avaible now or have a updated version
When you see a “No such file or directory” error it almost always means you need to install the library that contains the missing file.