Old USB to serial (RS232?) adaptor, any use?

Just wondering what uses this thing might have:

Found it amongst our E-waste pile...

I has a 9-pin socket, I am guessing that it outputs RS232?

Can it be used for long distance communication? Talking to stepper motor drivers? Anything interesting?

I already have an FTDI programmer, can this do more than that?

I just like getting use out of old junk over buying yet more stuff off eBay...

it is always useful to have an USB-RS232 serial device
there is still plenty of kit around which uses RS232

So bin it.

And the following week you will find you need one.

I don't wan't to bin it, i want to find a use for it :slight_smile:

Keep it and also download the driver for it.

I believe ham radio uses RS232 for some equipment.
I know some electronic test equipment uses RS232.

ieee488:
Keep it and also download the driver for it.

I believe ham radio uses RS232 for some equipment.
I know some electronic test equipment uses RS232.

Correct.
My laptop needs one to allow the PC software to control the ICOM 706MKIIG radio and to receive the current settings of the radio.

Paul

apart from a number of modems with RS232 interfaces (e.g. Seria Fastrack Extend FXT009, I have several microcontroller development kits which have RS232 serial ports, e.g. [Microchip Explorer 16](http://Microchip Explorer 16)Microchip Explorer 16, Bytronic PIC24 trainer, Microchip Mechatronics Demo kit
Although more modern kits tend to have USB serial, e.g. Microchip 16/32 development board, many kits which have RS232 are still avaliable Microchip kits

You can use it (with the addition of an extra MAX232 Chip) to establish communication between your UNO and a remote (100 - 200 feet apart) Computer.

Maybe I could just use RS485, they are very cheap for both USB adapter and Arduino adapter and apparently good for 1.2km.

if you are communicting with an RS232 device you require an Arduino RS232 adapter