OLED basics

Hi, I purchased a cheap OLED from China, and have had it working, but don't fully understand how. I have another project I'm working on, and this basic understanding of the OLED I have will help me debug the problems with my project.

I purchased this item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272359426038 it is similar to the picture, expect the layout of resistors on the back. It has 7-pins too, Vcc, GND, D0, D1, DC, CS, RST.

This is the description on the back of the unit:

IIC: R1 R4 R6 R7 R8 4SPI: R3 R4 3SPI: R2 R3 0.96 OLED

Mine has the following resistors present:

R3 R4 R5 R6 R7

I assume therefore that my device is the 4SPI, as it's the only description that covers the resistors that are in place.

Now, when it comes to wiring this device, is it ALWAYS optional to use either hardware or software SPI implementations or not.

Lastly, when it's time to program, I'm using the u8glib library, I'm pretty sure that allows for SW or HW SPI. Ideally I'd want to use HW to save on the pins used.

Thanks, in advance for any help!

The variant I have will only operate with 5 wires attached; excluding power and ground.

It is possible to use in software or hardware implementations; I have this working both ways now.

I'm still not sure what the resistors on the back mean, if that's what is set or what can be.

Hi.

I'm not sure what you want with this thread, can't find a clear question. So, like you, i have to make assumptions.

The resistors have some number printed on them. If it is '000', that means the value of the resistor is zero zero followed by zero zeros. This resolves to a zero Ohms resistor, AKA a bridge. If it is '471', that means four, seven followed by one zero, which resolves to 470 Ohms. These resistors select the operation mode for that module, you already got that.

If you want to select another mode, you need to place and/or remove the appropriate resistors. As these zero resistors actually aren't resistors but rather jumper wires in just a bit more convenient shape, you can use a tiny piece of wire instead in case you are short of resistors. The text on the module tells you which resistors have to be placed for what operation mode. So you're not restricted to the mode set at the moment. If you want or need to use another mode, you can set it yourself. Requires a bit of a steady hand and some soldering skills.

Thanks, MAS3. I didn't notice your reply, a helpful reply.

I'm happy with how the unit is working now, so don't think I'll change it any time soon, but good to know. If I have spares at some point, I might have a play.