Olimex mod-gsm

Hi,

I just bought a Olimex mod-gsm module, but i can't get it to work. I tried to connect the mod-gsm direct with the uext connector and with newsoftserial, but i don't get any response.

Unfortunately, i can't find any wiring or coding examples online.

anyone got this module working with Arduino or Olimexino-328?

thanx!

You could try the guys here

http://www.kenseglerdesigns.com/cms/forums/index.php

i can't get it to work

Exactly what are you trying? Got some code to show?

Rob

Ok, a little more information about what I am trying to do.

First of all, I also have a SM5100B GSM module from Sparkfun, I have this module up and running. For testing the Mod-Gsm module I try to use the example code for the SM5100B:

#include <NewSoftSerial.h> //Include the NewSoftSerial library to send serial commands to the cellular module.
#include <string.h> //Used for string manipulations
char incoming_char=0; //Will hold the incoming character from the Serial Port.
NewSoftSerial cell(2,3); //Create a ‘fake’ serial port. Pin 2 is the Rx pin, pin 3 is the Tx pin.

void setup(){
//Initialize serial ports for communication.
Serial.begin(9600);
cell.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
//If a character comes in from the cellular module…
if(cell.available() >0)
{
incoming_char=cell.read(); //Get the character from the cellular serial port.
Serial.print(incoming_char); //Print the incoming character to the terminal.
}
//If a character is coming from the terminal to the Arduino…
if(Serial.available() >0)
{
incoming_char=Serial.read(); //Get the character coming from the terminal
cell.print(incoming_char); //Send the character to the cellular module.
}
}

With the SM5100B this code works fine. The mod-gsm module has a UEXT connector, the pins on this connector are:
Pin # Signal Name
1 NC
2 GND
3 RXD
4 TXD
5 RTS
6 CTS
7 DTR
8 DCD
9 RI
10 PWRKEY

I don’t use the entire UEXT connector, I have UEXT-2 connected to ground, UEXT 3 to pin3, UEXT-4 to pin 2.

The mod-gsm is battery powered and is working fine, When I call the module with my telephone it rings (I don’t get the voicemail)

any suggestions?

I try to use the example code for the SM5100B:

#include <NewSoftSerial.h> //Include the NewSoftSerial library to send serial commands to the cellular module.
#include <string.h> //Used for string manipulations
char incoming_char=0; //Will hold the incoming character from the Serial Port.
NewSoftSerial cell(2,3); //Create a ‘fake’ serial port. Pin 2 is the Rx pin, pin 3 is the Tx pin.

Which is clearly crappy code. There is nothing ‘fake’ about a software serial port. Comments like this is code that is meant to be reused show a lack of understanding, which causes be to question the knowledge level of the author, and to not use that code.

@paulS, thans for tour reply. I am quote new to Arduino, but in this case you are questioning the knowledge level of the guys from Sparkfun, it's their example code. Next time I will remove these obsolete comments.

but in this case you are questioning the knowledge level of the guys from Sparkfun

I know I was. I don't think much of a lot of the code that they post. Quite a bit of it doesn't actually work, or doesn't work beyond the simplest little task. Any deviation from their exact setup, and you have to write your own code, anyway. Why they can't develop better code, or at least leave out the stupid comments escapes me.