ON AIR INDICATOR for MacOS's Mic and Webcam

Hey guys,

I really don't know it this is the right subforum, maybe its more of a HomeOffice/Covid19 topic or maybe its even the wrong forum at all. I might me better of posting this in a MacOS dev forum. So please just tell me if you think there is a better place to ask.

What I want to to is built kind of an "ON AIR" sign for my wife's Macbook. Shes been working from home with that computer for a couple of weeks now and she often switches seamlessly from talking to her colleges to talking to me and it really really irritates me. I just dont know when this machine transmits and when it doesn't! I drives me crazy!

I have absolutely no Idea about OSX, never cared for it and never will, so this is where I need some help.

I need a Mac application that senses if the microphone and/or camera is turned on an sends this information via USB/serial to an Arduino (or via WiFi (maybe mqtt) to an ESP, I don't care).

I just want to built a big fat sign that tells me when she has her mic on and when she has her cam on. I am really tired of her work buddies seeing me naked and hearing me talking bs to our cat.

She is very thorough when it comes to switching of her mic when not talking, so generation of that data should be no problem. I just need to get it out of that infernal machine!

Any Ideas? Maybe there already is some Software that does this...? Or should I find a Mac forum and ask there?

Thank you guys!

An easy but long project. You can

• write a Java client to observe if a certain Software is running? (zoom, gotomeeting etc)
  • write a Java Server with Rest API, where the above Java Client Sets and unsets
  • your arduino has esp8266 or 32 to connect WiFi and request wife conference Status from above server
  • your arduino has LED.

Problems with direct communication:

• macos doesnt have a proper API to query anything System relevant, so you have to create something yourself for that (Server Client etc)
  • the Java Server Applikation can run on your wifes Computer, no Problem there. It might be necessary to give a fix IP to your wifes Laptop though.
  • Mac Bluetooth is a pain in the ass to Code on.

To summarize: arduino Part is very simple! But there is more behind. Corona Situation might be resolve itself, before you finish such a project (to my understanding, you are New to programming)

thank you for your reply!
well, the arduino side is not the problem.

dr-o:
An easy but long project. You can

• write a Java client to observe if a certain Software is running? (zoom, gotomeeting etc)
  • write a Java Server with Rest API, where the above Java Client Sets and unsets
  • your arduino has esp8266 or 32 to connect WiFi and request wife conference Status from above server
  • your arduino has LED.

Well, the software (ms teams, hipchat, skype) is running all the time, so that is not the information i need. What I would need is the os information about the mic and cam, so basically the bit that turns on green LED next to the cam and somewhere in the os there must be a bit that flips, when the mic is switched on or off.

dr-o:

• macos doesnt have a proper API to query anything System relevant, so you have to create something yourself for that (Server Client etc)

Ok, so no chance of just exporting these two bits of information?

No, Not that I know of. You might check out "automation" and exploit it to create and API for yourself. But, I have no experience there at All. Sadly best I can think of is htop the processes and string search for Software... But if they are running All the time, it is no use.