On Bug Zappers and the like.

Many of you have probably seen the "bug zappers" which draw insects with a UV light and then zap them. Mine says "Caution: 2300V" and is powered with 2x AA battery (3V). How is this voltage stepped up so much? I realize that the operating amperage of the actual wires will b vey low, but how is the voltage increased by almost 800x?

but how is the voltage increased by almost 800x?

Typically with a multivibrator circuit driving a step-up transformer and possible followed with diode/cap voltage doublers/triplers circuits.

So its like converting DC to a sq. wave, then using a transformer, then converting it back to AC?

Also, could you use an op-amp?

Could you use an op-amp to do what?

To increase 3VDC to, say, 2300VDC. (in theory)

I suppose an op-amp with 2300V supply rails could do the job.

Right.... :P

Also, could you use an op-amp?

Yes, if wired as a multi-vibrator, although simpler to use a 555 timer chip. The hard part is finding a suitable transformer that has both the proper turns ratio and using sufficiently rated high voltage insulated wire for the secondary winding.

Lefty

Maybe cannibalise an old flashgun

Instead of making one, better to buy the below when they put them on special sale for $2.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html

Wow, looks like it could be useful for pets and children disciplining, or maybe a little S&M? 8-)

just kidding, don't flame me please. ;)

Still...just sayin.....

Lefty

Wow, looks like it could be useful for pets and children disciplining, or maybe a little S&M?

Check youtube. Skip the critters and kids, and take one to your local purgitory event.

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/special_event_purgatory/Content?oid=368893

2300V, eh? I always figured these things used surplus/excess/recycled guts from disposable camera, which would put them at 300-700V. I suppose there are assorted tricks to get higher than that, but it hardly seems worthwhile for bugs... (note that most "wire" is rated for up to 600V.)