On/Off for TYC-40 Synchronous Motor

Hello all, I am very new to using Arduino. I'm trying to turn TYC-40 Synchronous Motor on/off with Arduino UNO. I don't need to change it's speed and it only has to go in one direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise are both fine, as long as it consistently goes that way). The label says it's AC 12V motor, 50/60Hz 8r/min 1-2W CW/CCW. The motor looks like this https://picclick.com/TYC-40-synchronous-motor-12VAC-AC-12V-8-10-r-min-231135683510.html.

I don't understand how to connect it. Do I need a relay for it to work? I've only used servos before, but I have this motor on hand, so I'd prefer to use this if it's not too difficult for a beginner.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Assuming you have a suitable transformer to reduce the mains AC voltage to 12v AC then you just need to connect the 12v AC power to the two motor wires. If you want to control the ON/OFF with an Arduino then use a suitable relay. Be aware that synchronous motors have huge inrush currents (10 or 20 times the running current) at startup so make sure your relay can handle that.

...R

Thank you so much for your help! I think I'll stick to using servo for now. One step at a time :slight_smile:

wyinc:
I think I'll stick to using servo for now.

Synchronous motors are usually chosen because they run at a constant speed determined by the mains frequency. I can't immediately see how a servo (assuming you mean a hobby servo that uses the Arduino Servo library) can be an alternative.

...R