One handed soldering

I only have the use of one hand and I was wondering if there are any one handed solders out there with any ideas on how I can solder small items one handed.

With the help of a vise and a lot of patience and sloppiness I can solder larger items but I can not figure out how to solder electronic components or anything small.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's a tough one because I often feel like I need 3-hands...

Maybe some more clamps and things. I have one of [u]these "3rd hand" tools[/u]. Even with something like that, you might have to hold the solder in your mouth.*

Or something similar -
[u]Jameco 2168587[/u]

• Traditional tin/lead solder is considered a toxin, so you might want to consider lead-free solder although it usually requires higher temperature and is trickier to work with.

Have you seen these?
Solder feed iron

Then up market there is this:-

Ben Heck's Solder Gauntlet

Have you considered using solder paste. This could be pre-applied to the area to be soldered then heated to complete the joint.

Solder paste is dangerous because it dries out in the air and releases extremely fine lead powder. But it's absolutely the right material for soldering surface-mount components.

If you don't mind declaring your workbench a toxic waste zone (no eating in the electronics lab) then it's a good way to go.

Most soldering guides tell you not to put solder on the iron and bring it to the work. It does work, but like you said, it makes sloppy connections. With some practise, I think you could make it work acceptably well for through-hole components.

If you put solder on iron first, and then bring it to the joint, you should have flux on the joint.

MorganS:
Solder paste is dangerous because it dries out in the air and releases extremely fine lead powder. But it's absolutely the right material for soldering surface-mount components.

That's why you use lead-free solder paste. Lead dust in the lungs is about the worst form of
lead poisoning, definitely to be avoided.

MarkT:
That's why you use lead-free solder paste.

No that is why you avoid letting it dry out.

DrAzzy:
If you put solder on iron first, and then bring it to the joint, you should have flux on the joint.

Only if you are -very- quick.

I'd apply flux to the joint, then probably use a soldering iron with solder feed.

Thank you for the suggestions. I found this online and it has piqued my interest.

http://www.wholesaleinnovations.com/SSNTSK3YY

When you learn something new and realize you made a mistake, make sure you fix your mistake. Thanks for increasing my vocabulary.

Piqued.