One-way Serial Telemetry?

I have been making good progress on my current project and am about to start on the serial link but have a couple of questions.

The serial link is "one way" due to radio limitations.

One Arduino (probably a Mini) will be connected to an I2C sensor (10 DOF module), will read three inputs (2 16 bit values and 1 24 bit value), and transmit the three values on a one-way serial link to the receiving unit, an Arduino Uno, at a remote location. The receiver will do some data manipulations and display the current values.

I have a couple of questions about the serial link.

1. Does that Arduino serial REQUIRE two-way serial communications for hand-shaking or can they operate "blind"?

2. I assume that the Arduino software will break up the multi-byte values and transmit them as two or thee 8 bit words? Hopefully it puts them back together in the receive software! It would be easier for me to manipulate the data as a single long binary that having to convert everything to a BCD or HEX string.

For development and debugging I plan to have both Arduinos connected to the same desktop on two different COM ports

1. In my preliminary reading I saw a statement that and Arduino can NOT operate two serial ports at the same time (eg. the console port and a different port to another board) - is that so?

That would be a PITA if I can't use the Serial Monitor function while developing the software!

Who is intimate with Arduino serial behaviour?

Thanks!

1. The Arduino does not care.

2. There is no Arduino software. You will have to format the data to be sent. The data will have to be broken into bytes to send The received data will need to be re-assembled to recover the data.

3. You can have the hardware serial to communicate with the PC and a software serial port to talk to the other board.

Have a look at this, it may help you be with understanding serial comms.
Serial input basics

1. In my preliminary reading I saw a statement that and Arduino can NOT operate two serial ports at the same time (eg. the console port and a different port to another board) - is that so?

Not true, there are Arduinos (e.g. the Mega2560) that have multiple hardware serial ports, and that is almost always a better option than adding a software port.

groundfungus:
3. You can have the hardware serial to communicate with the PC and a software serial[/url] port to talk to the other board.

There won't be a PC in the final configuration.

groundfungus:

1. The Arduino does not care.

THAT'S what I hoped to hear! :wink:

WAHOO! Got the one-way serial working between boards! Nice Christmas present - thanks guys!