One XBee dongle to program 2 communicating FIO/XBees

Hi everyone!

Here is the current status: 2 FIOs w/ XBees communicating and doing what I want them to do. :grin: One is in a guitar and one is in a pedal.

I program the guitar wirelessly, but to do so I must remove the pedal xbee and put it in my xbee explorer. Then my computer can talk to it.

I program the pedal with an FTDI hookup. Which means I need to remove the xbee from the pedal FIO (the xbee and the ftdi can't be hooked up simultaneously on the FIO).

Here is what I'd like: Leave both xbees in their respective fios, but program both the guitar and pedal wirelessly. I've already bent a pin a little removing and reinserting. I have the extra xbee, but I don't know how I can keep the pedal as the coordinator and program it as well.

So final question: Can two FIO/xbees communicate with each other without any intermediate xbee and be programmed remotely by a computer attached xbee. I have the first part down, I'd just like to get them programmable wirelessly without unplugging, etc.

best, Rich

PS they are all the old school Series 1 xbees.

PS they are all the old school Series 1 xbees.

The Series 1 XBees are NOT old school. They are simply designed for a different purpose then the Series 2/2.5 XBees. I wish people would stop trying to perpetuate the myth that newer is better.

In the case of the XBees, the series number has absolutely nothing to do with newer/better. Different, yes. But that makes it easy to choose the correct XBee.

Old school Xbees are better. I chose XBee Series 1 on purpose and I wasn't trying to promulgate any XBee 1 is better than XBee 2 nonsense. But the question still stands...

Right now I'm thinking that for programming purposes I route the communication through the coordinator XBee on my computer. That way the pedal and the guitar can both be programmed from the coordinator XBee. When I go to make the communication 2 way point to point, I just make the pedal the coordinator.

It's not the best, but it will work if that's all I can do.

Finally from wikipedia on the phrase "old school" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_school:

In slang, old school can refer to anything that is from an earlier era. Depending on context and intent, the term can imply high regard or respect, or be a pejorative.

So, in this context I mean "high regard or respect" but I can understand how you could take it the other way.

Old school Xbees are better.

Not if your objective is to create a mesh network. Both series have there place. One is not better than the other. One is more suitable for a given application than the other, but that does not make that series, overall, better.

Right, but for the FIO, I can easily program it wirelessly using the series 1, so... they are better for this task. I just want to know how easy it is to program the radios to talk to each other when running but be programmed via a third radio.

ie, can I have a controller program another controller

or could I have a controller remotely program the pedal xbee itself in and out of controller mode?

This seems to be the closest thing: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=53547.0

but I need to get more into the xbee command set and get up to speed on exactly what API and transparent mode are. The XBeeConfig tool that comes with the FIO toolset hides the AT commands behind a gui, so I don't exactly know what's going on there. I think I will just connect with screen and program them directly.

I think there is a way to do this, but a back and forth about the relative merits of XBee modules is out of place.