op-amp virgin.

Never used one before ever, always stuck to transistors to do most jobs.

Am i right in assuming this circuit will indeed amplify an audio signal?

Only if you have a split supply. That is one with a positive voltage, a ground and a negative voltage.

For audio it is normal to couple through capacitors to remove any DC bias.

about 4 years ago (i know i know) I bought an what I thought was a 8 pin dip, Audio Amplifier, when i got home and looked it up..

it was a "LM833N Dual Audio Operational Amplifier"

and that's what that circuit uses uses (above picture) so I need a 2nd voltage rail? to pull off an audio amplifier?

cjdelphi: about 4 years ago (i know i know) I bought an what I thought was a 8 pin dip, Audio Amplifier, when i got home and looked it up..

it was a "LM833N Dual Audio Operational Amplifier"

and that's what that circuit uses uses (above picture) so I need a 2nd voltage rail? to pull off an audio amplifier?

Or as GM stated, instead of dual rail power you can use series capacitors coupling on the input and output of the op-amp. How much voltage or power are you expecting to get out of the op-amp. They are usually only good for preamp type audio applications, not for directly driving speakers.

Lefty

A preamp would be more useful as I can read in the signal to Arduino :) or to a power transistor to drive a speaker.

it's 1am here, just something i had in mind to do tomorrow :) (at last lol)

but yeah using a cap to block DC is a lot easier :) - i'll give it a go, i only have 1 of these IC's anyway it's just been gathering dust.

as I can read in the signal to Arduino

Look at this:- http://interface.khm.de/index.php/labor/experimente/arduino-realtime-audio-processing/ It shows you how to bias an input with capacitors for feeding into an arduino.