OPen Building Automation protocol

i would like to see an online workshop about forming an open building automation / robotics protocol around arduino.

The FAKE open protocols by the manufacturing companies are really depressing because the cost is very high and its a giant reseller network. There are many other issues too with future redundancy.
The actual BUS protocol is simple these days over the air, and a gateway controller can handle all sensor to actuator workflow connections And / or data mapping, so there is little need for complex data schemas to be agreed upon, and there are already some great data schemas around.
It’s not complex. a Thermostat just needs to send the temperature.
A light switch just needs to send the press ON or Pres OFF signal.
This is really not rocket science.

For example we need tiny hardware that can be used for sensors that can do 868 mhz wirelss comms ina noice bundle.
then you need a ability to power them.
All this is not exactly what you can easily place in a light box receptacle.

then a REST based API to the controller exactly like a wifi router and we are good.

The issue as i see it in the hardware. Getting it small and low powered.
The wireless kinetically powered sensors are very promising too from EnOcean, but i guess they are patented to the end of history?

Again i cant stress enough that the issue seems to be small hardware. You cant put an Arduino behind every light switch and actuator. Its JUST NOT economical. But there must be a way to get a once size fits all type of generic hardware that can do this, with simple c software to talk to the physical sensor attached to the board.

The issue as i see it in the hardware. Getting it small and low powered.

No, the real issue is getting it past building inspectors and other government bureaucracies involved with building codes, etc. You can try to come up with all the nice protocols, layouts, configurations, etc - make it all open source, etc; but if you don't grease them palms, you might as well be spittin' in the wind.

You know what all those fees and such in those consortiums are really for? Paying off bribes and kickbacks.

:(

Fair enough, but this is not insurmountable.

The electrical system is what they inspect. The automation aspects behind it is not really inspected but trusted based on FCC testing etc. So all the on site inspector is looking for is a CE marking on the automation hardware so they can tick that box.

The CE and EN codes around the world are useful for quality control, so that a consumer knows that what they buy will not blow up in their face or perform below a certain standard of care.

For example, To operate on the 868.3 mhz frequency spectrum you are legally only to send 10 messages per second. There are some other power aspects but they are not complex.

So I appreciate what you are saying but we have to bypass that issue for now and come back to it in the road-map. Eventually with enought momentum the open hardware can get CE and EN certification for the electrical aspects. This will be a small drop in the bucket in terms of cost because of the economy of scale of productivity from the FABBING of the devices from Shenzhen, China.