open cash drawer with iPhone

Hi everyone,

I have a little project about opening a cash drawer with an iPhone. I successfully connect my iPhone using a bluetooth to an Arduino uno. And i am able to tune on some LEDs by sending some integer to the Arduino. Now I need to replace the LED to a cash drawer.

But I have some questions here.

1. the cash drawer need 12V. so I think I need a 12V source and a MOSFET to boost up the output signal. am i going to right direction. Is there any easier way to do the some thing?

2. Do I simply send out an ON/OFF signal to the cash drawer and it will open. Or I need some code to open the cash drawer?

Thank you for everybody's help.

1. Depends on the current. Please post the specs of the drawer opening mechanism. If low, an ordinary/small transistor may suffice. A relay is another option.

2. When you say "code" do you mean Arduino code, or a security code to open the drawer? If the former, then the answer is yes. If the latter, then are you asking if the drawer already has a code built in? The answer will be in the speed of the drawer mechanism.

Do I simply send out an ON/OFF signal to the cash drawer and it will open. Or I need some code to open the cash drawer?

What cash drawer is this? Do you have a data sheet?

It is just a off-the-shelf cheap cash drawer. It didn't come with any data sheet.

Usually this kind of cash drawer connect to some thermal printer using RJ11 or RJ12. I am just wondering if I need to send any specific "code" to trigger the cash drawer to open. Or I just need to give a 12V pulse than it opens.