Opening serial monitor crashes arduino!!!

After many trials of restarting the program "Arduino", every time I use serial monitor for the tutorial AnalogReadSerial, the arduino application gets buggy and not responds!
My OS is 10.9.1 osx (Maverick)
and the Arduino I am using is uno r3
Please help!!!!!

Which Arduino?
Which operating system? Windows? Mac? Linux?
Post your code (in code tags - see How to post code properly)

Pete

Sorry.
That was my first post.
My operating system is Maverick Osx 10.9.1
The arduino I am using is Uno r3.
After doing additional research online, I figured that I should update my firmware (my current version: 0.01) to fix the problem
Is that correct?

Which firmware are you talking about?
The current Arduino IDE version is 1.0.5

Can a Mac user help out here? I use Windows.

Pete

I've had the same thing happen under windows when receiving garbage from the arduino (null pointer exception from the serial monitor). Using a terminal program instead should work.

The same thing happened to me while using array in one of the sketches. The baud rate (PC<–>Arduino) was set to 115200.
I corrected the functions, reduced the baud rate & used delay in between Serial.print() & it was solved. Don’t know why it was fixed but that method worked for me while using GPS with arduino UNO & WIN7 X64.

I might have had the same problem on my Due using the 1.5.6 IDE.

When opening the Serial Monitor, it would read a few lines then crash with a NullPointerException. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, and also had this same problem happen with my Arduino Micro. The test code I used was:

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("Test");
  delay(1);
}

The problem is most likely the 1.5.6 IDE. After I switched to an older version (1.5.1r2), the problem went away. You can download Arduino 1.5.1r2 at https://github.com/downloads/arduino/Arduino/arduino-1.5.1r2-windows.zip

With ALL Arduinos other than the leonardo and the yun the board is reset every time you open the serial monitor or connect to the serial port using any other software.

Mark

holmes4:
With ALL Arduinos other than the leonardo and the yun the board is reset every time you open the serial monitor or connect to the serial port using any other software.

It's possible for applications to open the serial port without asserting the DTR signal which causes the reset, but most applications do it in a way that causes the reset - the Arduino IDE is one of those that cause the reset.

It's possible to inhibit the reset on the Arduino itself by adding a circuit to prevent the Reset line being pulled down (see tutorials about using an Arduino as an ISP) but if you do that you will need to go back to standard in order to upload any new sketches, since the reset is a necessary part of the upload process.