Opinions on DFRobot Logic Analyzer?

I’m curious if anyone has an opinion, experience, etc, with the aforementioned logic analyzer? It’s too late in the sense that I’ve already ordered one, but I’d still like to get any insight, warnings, etc. I’ve picked it up on a bit of a gamble, having done only a minor bit of research on it (and others). Pulling out my dual channel TechT scope can be a hassle, and I thought there could be some convenience in a small device like this. It’s compatible with Saleae software which I hope is a plus. The price is right (but sometimes one gets what they paid for). I don’t need lots of power, just the ability to examine timing of a small number of parallel signals.

Lyle

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_114&product_id=601#.UrIskyd0nlw

I can't help, but I'm also interested in the replies, so I'm posting to get them in my Unread.

The Saleae Logic analyzer that it's cloned from has a pretty good reputation. The cheap clones thereof have reputation similar to cheap fake arduino clones, though in this case (IMO, anyway) it's a bit stronger. The analyzer uses downloaded code that is NOT open source, and the clones essentially use the Saleae code without having paid for it, counting on the Saleae host-side software to remain too dumb to tell the difference.

I received the analyzer today, did a quick checkout of it. I had already installed the Saleae software, and the device was detected by Windoze (XP on this machine). Windoze searched for and found Saleae drivers which were installed without issue. The device was detected by the software when the prog' was launched. I tested with three inputs and saw what I expected to see.

One thing I might have tried to do something about had I looked a little closer are the cables supplied with the analyzer. No problems, but each cable is female to female. With some better planning I would have ordered some male to female versions so I could plug into my breadboards. I can put a male-male cable into the supplied cable to convert it to a male-female arrangement. I like the Saleae clips on their harness, but the Saleae harness is NOT compatible with the DFR analyzer. The clips can be bought separately, I may do that.

This is all preliminary, but first analysis is promising

ETA: the install on my win7 machine went as smoothly as the XP

Lyle

Just a quick update and report. I've not done any hard core testing of it yet, but it does perform well for what I've done with it. This has been to sample a few pins at moderately high sample rates with one of the pins changing at small uS periods. It helped me sync some read timings in some serial communication I'm working on, so I'm pleased with the analyzer at this point. Time will tell, but it looks good so far.

Lyle