Optical Encoder DBS36E-BBCP00S25, can Uno keep up?

I have a robot base that includes these encoders added to the output shaft of my drive.

I have not worked with encoders but slapping 6 LED's on the 6 signal pins and moving the wheel by hand I easily deciphered a pattern

654321 - pins

Where pin 5 pulses once per revolution, and pin 6.. well.. stays low.. Not sure what it's for.

The specs I found here:

When I barely touch the tires and push them back and forth, I can slowly step through the pattern above, no problem. It never misses. But I am literally just moving the tire a few degrees at most. So it's super sensitive. When I engage the motors, and watch the serial console, I see missing values in the sequence.

I am using the remedial attempt to watch for a change in values, to dump to the serial port. My question is, if I wanted to detect direction and speed/distance, would an Uno be able to keep up, or is there an interface chip I should be looking at?

`#include <Arduino.h>

// monitor the encoder using these 6 pins.
const int encPin1 = 8;
const int encPin2 = 9;
const int encPin3 = 10;
const int encPin4 = 11;
const int encPin5 = 12;
const int encPin6 = 13;

int encVal1;
int encVal2;
int encVal3;
int encVal4;
int encVal5;
int encVal6;
int lastVal = 0;

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:
delay(3000);
pinMode( encPin1, INPUT_PULLUP ); // The encoder is open collector, so use the pull up's in the arduino.
pinMode( encPin2, INPUT_PULLUP );
pinMode( encPin3, INPUT_PULLUP );
pinMode( encPin4, INPUT_PULLUP );
pinMode( encPin5, INPUT_PULLUP );
pinMode( encPin6, INPUT_PULLUP );
Serial.begin( 9600 );
}

int readEnc() { // This routine reads all 6 pins, and makes an 8 bit integer using the bit positions)
encVal1 = digitalRead( encPin1 );
encVal2 = digitalRead( encPin2 );
encVal3 = digitalRead( encPin3 );
encVal4 = digitalRead( encPin4 );
encVal5 = digitalRead( encPin5 );
encVal6 = digitalRead( encPin6 );
int encVal = (1 * encVal1) + (2 * encVal2) + (4 * encVal3) + (8 * encVal4 ) + ( 16 + encVal5 ) + (32 * encVal6 );
return encVal;
}

void loop() {
// This loop may not be fast enough to catch the incremental transitions when teh motors are engaged, that is my worry.. how might I do this better?
while ( readEnc() != lastVal ) { // This code watches for a change in value, records the new value, then prints the binary output to the serial port
lastVal = readEnc();
Serial.println( lastVal, BIN);
}

}`

Printing every time through loop() at the glacial baud rate of 9600 is not helping. I routinely use baud rates 115200 to 250000.

Ahh, good point. I shall up my baud rate and retest.

250,000 and was able to run the motor at 10% with no skips. I suspect then if I stop printing and just act on the data it will have no issues with my speed. That will be my next test.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.