Optical mouse kit?

Somewhere I saw an optical mouse chip and lens with a PCB for sale as a kit. Now I can't find the ad. I searched my browser history without success.

Does anyone remember seeing this? It was only in the last week I think.

I took a mouse apart but the chip is undocumented and has more pins than other ones so I have no idea how to hook it up.

There's pretty much only one company making optical mouse sensors. They have a patent last I heard or something, so I think it'll be a few more years before others start making them.

Anyway, if you look up the numbers on the chip on Mouser or digikey or somewhere like that, you should be able to find more info on the chip--those sites sell them individually. They should even link to the data sheets.

I have the opposite problem--mine is shorter than the ones you find people normally using. IIRC from the research I did though, they have similar pin-outs, so you might try hooking the indicated pins and seeing if you get a signal.

The other issue I found was the focal length--the mice have a lens designed so that it looses focus and thus signal if it gets more than like a 1/16 of an inch from a surface. If the chip and lens and stuff can't ride close enough, it's useless. You can try to get a different lens, there's even hacks to make it a real camera, so you can see what it sees so you can fiddle with the focus, but that might be more trouble than it's worth. I'll be just using the mouse body to make a pod riding in front of my bot.