optical power lines?

Why not high powered laser beams?

Coal, oil, nuclear, wind etc the energy gets converted to light and beamed? Any reason we don’t?

Converting light to electricity currently maxes out at about 35% efficient, and most electricity to light mechanisms are not so good either. High power lasers tend to be especially inefficient.

But the whole solar power satellite scheme was going to use masers, so the idea is sound. (maser is to microwave what laser is to light.)

westfw:
Converting light to electricity currently maxes out at about 35% efficient, and most electricity to light mechanisms are not so good either. High power lasers tend to be especially inefficient.

But the whole solar power satellite scheme was going to use masers, so the idea is sound. (maser is to microwave what laser is to light.)

Wasn't that idea shelved because of the possibility that people could get cooked if the satellite went even slightly out of kilter?

cooking people is going to be a problem with any wireless energy transfer scheme that has a significant power density. Yeah, some forms are more readily absorbed by a human body, but at high enough powers, you need to worry about the non-efficient absorption as well. Wireless phone chargers make me a bit nervous. Plans to rebuild the really big Tesla towers make me really nervous...

Wireless phone chargers make me a bit nervous.

Wireless car charging pads are really going to freak you out!

westfw:
cooking people is going to be a problem with any wireless energy transfer scheme that has a significant power density.

That is what I was implying. High power, high frequency, RF or high power laser light will do that.
They could put the laser beam into a protective metal tube or two...they could raise the tubes on towers, for safety...have a grid of them to supply power throughout the country...

Even better yet, fill the tubes and use it as a solid conductor! :wink:

SirNickity:
Even better yet, fill the tubes and use it as a solid conductor! :wink:

Why didn't I think of that? :blush: