Orange LED of hell

Hi,

i have the same problem as described in this post and this

I don't know what i have done wrong, but i can't communicate with my portenta anymore. The orange LED, which is connected to the fancy power supply IC, is on and turns off an on every ~15 seconds. I measured the input and output voltages of the power supply.

• 5.0 V USB voltage is fine
  • VSYS are 4.18 V
  • +3V1SW -> not present
  • +3V3 -> not present
  • +3V1 -> available
  • +1V0 -> not present
  • +1V8 -> not present
  • +1V2 -> not present

The STM32 should work properly since it is powered by 3.1V, right? As in one of the other post mentioned, it seems, that the MCU have not powered up the power supply yet.

Probably something is wrong with the bootloader, so i decided to use the ST-Link and the breakout board to reburn the bootloader.

I also overcome the problem the the 3.3V are not present, but which is needed for the ST-Link as reference voltage for the logic level. Therefore i use an external power supply.

I have tried to use the Arduino IDE, PlatformIO and the STM32CubeProgrammer to get access to the MCU. But every time i try, i get an error that the target can't be found.
I have now checked several times whether I have wired the SWD connection correctly and I am very sure that I have not made a mistake here. Also i use the newest firmware version of the ST-Link and I updated the Arduino IDE and the portenta core files.

I don't know what i can do to bring the portenta back to life. Any suggestions?

You could share that information.

Sure! The two images show how i soldered the STlink connector to the connector on the breakout board. The cables between are as short as possible.
Maybe you can find an error :slight_smile:

Some ideas:

Are BOOT and BOOT_SEL dip switches set for upload?

Have you tried a simpler connection, use SWD only 4 wire - SWDIO, SWCLK, 3.3V, GND?

In which state should they be for upload?
I tried the SWD without the SWO connection. Maybe i will take an oscilloscope and see what is going on with the signals.

I can't remember, but I think you have to reboot with them in the right position, to access via SWD.

I just tried again the four combination of the BOOT and the BOOT_SEL dip, but the STM32CubeProgrammer doesn't find a target :confused:

Chiming in to report the same issue here! Hoping to get some support from Arduino on this issue...

Did you contact the support? Otherwise i will try it

I did, but how about we both do.... join forces :slight_smile:

I don't have a Portenta but try connecting to the target (via STLink) while holding the reset button on the Portenta

Yes, you're right. I just wrote to the technical support

Thanks for your input! But i tried that so many times :frowning:
But unfortunately this not the solution to the problem

Any update from Arduino? So far I've been told to try updating the bootloader and send pics of my board. The board doesn't even appear in my COM ports so no luck updating the bootloader...

Not yet. The last mail i send to the support was last week on wendsday. I think the first answer to our request was a copy-paste answer. I received the same, but replied that this will not work because the USB transciever does not work.

I just received a mail from Ignacio.

The CHRG LED irregularly blinking orange means that the bootloader code on the H7 got corrupted or could also mean that hardware or firmware broke. ~Ignacio

I will try to investigate the problem with him.

Same issue here... The STM32 programmer with ST-Link/v2 doesnt't recognize the board and i have the same power levels.

So no chance to upload a new bootloader.

Maybe you also can write the support. I think that they don't know why this problem occurs. I think it would be good if the Arduino support gets all the information about under which circumstances the bootloader gets corrupted.

I fixed it! :slight_smile:

Just put 3,3V from an external power supply on any 3.3V Pin on the Breakout board. The board is recognized again and you can simply flash the firmware via Arduino and the ST Programmer.

How did you connect your STLink to the breakout board? Maybe you can upload a photo