Oscillator - Arduino style (C#)

Hi, I am working currently on a program which is an arduino based oscillator, through the analog pin it reads the voltage of a specific point in the circuit and transfers the data through the serial port through a C# program that i am working on. the program can draw a graph according to the reading of the analog pin. here is an example picture: http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oscf.png (it is a reading of a circuit with the 555 chip in it)

the only problem is, that it is not fast enough to read accurately some readings. anyone knows how can i make it go faster?

thanks

Which baudrate do you use? Go as high as possible.

i used the normal one,9600, and if i use something higher than that i dont see numbers but squares and other weird characters

I have used higher baud rates with Arduino and VB.net program.

Since VB.net and C# is "almost the same" it should be possible for you to go higher.

Did you change the baudrate on both sides ?

works great now, i adjusted the highest baud rate (is there a way of making it even faster?). btw, if i want to make this oscillator a different piece, with the atmega8 and probably a graphic lcd screen, do i need a crystal? and if i want it faster a higher value crystal right ?

To get it faster why not store the samples in the Arduino's memory and then play it back later. That way you have the maximum sample rate, the only problem is that it is not continuous and there is only 1K or so memory, with probably only 700 bytes free.

nice idea, but it limits... on some occasions i have to see the oscillator on real time and i cant do it with that option

The serial port speed is probably the limiting factor here. When you set it to 115200 and just keep sending random values that's about as fast as it gets. There are ways to speed up the sampling but that won't help you if serial comm is indeed the bottleneck. Assuming a non-optimized program you'd be able to send around 6000 samples per second. The atmega's maximum sampling rate is ca. 10 times as fast.

That's why the previous suggestion makes sense: store samples internally at fastest rate possible and then dump them out slowly.

thanks cross, what about this idea; not an actual serial port connection, but to the arduino i will connect a graphical lcd display, will that make the data go faster?