Oscilloscope for robotics projects

Hi, I plan to buy an oscilloscope for robotics projects. 2-4 channels and having the ability to record data is nice. Any recommendation appreciated. Thanks.

Are you sure it's a scope you want, and not a logic analyser?

A four channel digital storage oscilloscope should do the trick.

Instek GDS-2204A
[
](http://
<a)Google

I like mine a lot.

Or compromise on a mixed-signal 'scope.

AWOL:
Are you sure it's a scope you want, and not a logic analyser?

What are the differences between oscilloscope and logic analyser? As far as I know, the latter is usb based device which requires a computer to operate.

CrossRoads:
Instek GDS-2204A
[
](http://
<a)Google

I like mine a lot.

Thanks. It looks very nice but a bit expensive. Is it much better than the Rigol DS1054Z? I have read both positive and very negative comments of the Rigol. What other products do you recommend if the budget is about US$600-1000? At this range, can I get a reasonably good 4-channel scope that can also record data?

newto_arduino:
What are the differences between oscilloscope and logic analyser? As far as I know, the latter is usb based device which requires a computer to operate.

No, you can get standalone or USB versions of oscilloscope and of LA's.

A logic analyzer records only digital signals. Its basically a bunch of high speed comparators
and a recording system.

An oscilloscope is a few high speed ADCs and a recording system. High speed ADCs are more
expensive than comparators, and digital systems tend to have many more signals you'd like
to observe simultaneously than an analog circuit.

A compromise of 2-channel oscilloscope + 8 or 16 channel LA is pretty general purpose and
flexible. 4-channel scopes are typically a lot more expensive than 2-channel.

MarkT:
A compromise of 2-channel oscilloscope + 8 or 16 channel LA is pretty general purpose and
flexible. 4-channel scopes are typically a lot more expensive than 2-channel.

Can you please recommend two to three 2-channel oscilloscopes, 8 or 16 channel LA and 4-channel scopes? Reasonably good but not too expensive ones rather than those cheap ones that are low cost but have bugs and limited functionality.