oscilloscope

I have an old CRT oscilloscope (Eico model #460). Can I use my Arduino uno as a signal generator for this oscilloscope ?

Yes.

Those old scopes are great conversation pieces! If your's works, yep, make a signal with Arduino and it'll look just like the opening to The Outer Limits!

Chris, Would you please elaborate on the make a signal part?

What's the response of that old scope? kHz? Just write highs and lows and voila- square wave!

To get a sine wave it would be a bit more difficult. Filter the pwm with a resistor and cap, then change the analogWrite() level up and down, slow enough so it doesn't outrun the filter.

It would be easier to use a 555, but this isn't timer.cc.

Can you direct me to a link in order to build the Arduino uno signal generator on a breadboard ? I am a novice.

Start with this:

void setup(){
[pinMode (3, output);
}
void loop(){
analogWrite (3, 127);
}

Can you see a ~500 Hz, 0/5V Square wave on the scope? Change the 127 lower and higher (0 to 255), should see the high part of the square wave get narrower and wider.

After that, add a resistor and capacitor to make a low pass filter, that will change the wave shape. For example, 15-16K resistor and 0.1uF cap to make a 100 Hz lowpass filter, that should be noticeable with scope. http://sim.okawa-denshi.jp/en/CRlowkeisan.htm You can try other filters too, there are links at the bottom of that page.

Google "R-2R ladder" or "low pass filter" or "DDS"

Google "Lissajous curve" and "phase shifter". to get a Lissajous curve pattern on your scope, you need to set the horizontal input to external, feed a sine wave signal into the vertical input and a sine signal (of the same phase) into the horizontal input. Adjust the gains until you get a nice even circle displayed on the screen. As you phase shift one of the sine signals, you will see multi-lobes appear in the display. Altering the gains will distort the display.

Lots of fun (used to calculate phase and frequency relationships)

2 seg on Google: Arduino generator instructables

Arduino Wafeform Generator

123Splat: As you phase shift one of the sine signals, you will see multi-lobes appear in the display.

No, you get multiple lobes when you change the frequency of one of the signals, viz.,an integer multiple.

Good one, Groove! My bad, been a while........

Pushi stuv yeti? gaspadin

Can you see a ~500 Hz, 0/5V Square wave on the scope?

Exactly! Thanks CrossRoads! Tom