[OSX] Can't open Arduino software?

Hey! So I'm very new to the arduino community.

I've gotten myself an arduino uno and want to transmit signals from my computer.

I tried to download the software which is on the website, first of all the 1.0.5 version didn't work to extract, it said that something was missing.

Second of all, I've tried to download the 1.0.4 as well as Processing software (http://processing.org/), but when I try to start both of them the Icon just bounces and nothing happens, then it dissappears.

Is there something I might be missing? Do the Arduino Board need to be connected to the computer first or what might be the problem? Both the icons don't have any artwork either which seem kinda weird.

Which operating system?

No, you don't need to connect the Arduino first.

You don't need to download Processing software.

I'm using OSX. Not sure entirely what version, might be mountain lion 10.7 something.

And what is going on!? Now I've tried to boot into Windows, I've downloaded both the installer and the .zip file, but both of them is not working!? What is going on..

And it is the IDE software I'm supposed to download, right?

Try the Apple menu -> About This Mac. I have 10.7.5 and I don't have any problems with the IDE.

I tried to download the software which is on the website, first of all the 1.0.5 version didn't work to extract, it said that something was missing.

Like, what?

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=193838.msg1431792#msg1431792 date=1381989462] Try the Apple menu -> About This Mac. I have 10.7.5 and I don't have any problems with the IDE.

Like, what? [/quote]

Well lol, now after I've been rebooted into windows I tried to download the files again, after some tries it worked to extract and now I seem to be on my way into the program atleast..