osx freeduino w/ ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

Hi there,

I have a terrible n00b question; would really appreciate some help or pointers if anybody can spare the time.

I just got a Freeduino/Diecimila-like Arduino as part of a kit for Xmas, very excited about this but currently unable to upload anything to the board. I'm running OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.2) and installed the 10.0.3 arduino IDE. I've also installed the FTDI USB-Serial Driver (2.2.18 for OSX - from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) and now I can see that the arduino's being picked up at /dev/tty.usbserial-A900f4o3 . I'm at the Hello World stage so I'm just trying to get the blink example to work, but am foiled at the upload stage. I've turned on verbose debug and it seems to be dying after the following is output (run as the Diecimila ATMega168):

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbserial-A900f4o3 Using Programmer : arduino Overriding Baud Rate : 19200

avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I'm running arduino (the IDE) as root in case its a perms thing, I've not got any other peripherals plugged in, I've tried holding down the reset button at various times, and I think I've tried everything pertinent on http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload but very new to this so may have done something else stupid.

Only other thing of note is that I think it came "out of the box" with the red led at 13 flashing (as in as soon as it had power over USB to light the green PWR LED, the other LED was flashing also), so I'm wondering if it came with a program on it already which I now can't get rid of.

Any other info. that would help, please shout. Thanks!

The Freeduino might have come loaded with the UNO bootloader. Try selecting Arduino UNO instead of Arduino Diecimila. The bootloaders use different data rates so they aren’t interchangeable.

Thanks for the help! I tried basically every bootloader there was on the off chance it was that, but no joy.

Turns out it was broken somehow, I got an exchange and the new one works perfectly :D

Thanks again.

*gah I think I meant target rather than bootloader, but you get the gist!