OTA via IoT Cloud not working (Nano 33 IoT)

Sorry, the forum message went to my spam. I can, yes. It has been fairly wild, yesterday it worked most of the time, with only a couple "board not found" errors and if I retried those they most of the time would work after that retry.

No rhyme or reason to this. It's done it with different boards too with different models.

I can help with a remote session or whatever you want to do. I will DM you.

We're tracking a server side issue that is probably having a major role in this OTA flakiness for some users. Stay tuned for more updates.

what is the status now?
i experienced the same - failed ota update
it was ok just a week ago
looking forward a solution soon

Start Uploading sketch GrowTower2_sep25a Over-the-Air

Binary not received by the board: board not found

Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: /home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.8.11/libraries/SPI [info] Using library adafruit_unified_sensor_1_1_4 at version 1.1.4 in folder: /home/builder/opt/libraries/latest/adafruit_unified_sensor_1_1_4 [info] Using library adafruit_bme680_library_2_0_1 at version 2.0.1 in folder: /home/builder/opt/libraries/latest/adafruit_bme680_library_2_0_1 [info] Using library adafruit_busio_1_9_1 at version 1.9.1 in folder: /home/builder/opt/libraries/latest/adafruit_busio_1_9_1 [info] Using library arduinoeccx08_1_3_5 at version 1.3.5 in folder: /home/builder/opt/libraries/latest/arduinoeccx08_1_3_5 [info] Using library SNU at version 1.0.2 in folder: /home/builder/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.8.11/lib

Any update yet??

I have exactly the same problem with mine since a couple of weeks !
Hope you'll find the problem, because it become to disappoint me...

3 posts were split to a new topic: Board identity changed after uploading via Arduino Cloud

Any updates for the OTA flakiness.

The IOT is useless if the board (nano 33 IOT) could not be loaded via OTA

Please treat this issues urgently

Hi Zmoog,
after several succesfull OTA scrips uploads on tuesday, I was realy happy , unfortunately today the problem is again.

I think that at night, the lower the traffic the easier to the cloud to synchronize with the remote boards.
just to give you some feedback
regards
Alex

Hi all, I want to give you a quick update on the status of this issue.

The Cloud team is working on this topic: we are experimenting with our internal dev environment to replicate the issue and find a solution to make the OTA process reliable.

I know you are frustrated. I am frustrated, too, by not having already fixed this issue for all users of our platform.

It's hard to grok because, even if it often happens to some of you, it's not systematic and depends on many factors (load, events timing).

I'll update this thread as soon as possible.

I appreciate your patience.

1 Like

i hope to hear some good news on the OTA issue

Hi all!

We completed the update to the MQTT broker: it now is using a new software version and a brand new sync protocol.

Can you try to run some OTA updates on your devices again and report here your success rates?

first test: Dashboard is working, Device is online, but

I'll keep trying OTA uploads with the other devices.

Thank you @Ale-X, let me know if it's improving with other devices or attempts: the success rate is improved a lot in our tests.

Thanks!
Second test same thing/board/sketch/dashboard -> success!

1 Like

I think it's not stable enough yet, but nevertheless device is online an updated

Now it' not working at all... : Unable to verify OTA: the board didn't answered after reboot
and the sketch is not updated at all even if the board actually has reboot
several test same sketch same board, same and different network connection used to upload the sketch to the board, connected always at his usual network
maybe all of us are overloading the ota traffic testing at the same time.

Here some lines of serial output from the board after doing a serial usb upload instead of OTA:

ArduinoIoTCloudTCP::handle_ConnectMqttBroker could not connect to mqtts-sa.iot.arduino.cc:8883
ArduinoIoTCloudTCP::handle_ConnectMqttBroker 2 connection attempt at tick time 33387
ArduinoIoTCloudTCP::handle_SubscribeMqttTopics could not subscribe to /a/t/ "...id#...."

Check your thing configuration, and press the reset button on your board.

ArduinoIoTCloudTCP::handle_SubscribeMqttTopics MQTT client connection lost

hope this could help to solve the proble as this is now a really unreliable situation
having some devices to make sketch upgrade OTA.

Thanks for the report! These failed connection attempts confirm a hypothesis we were working on this morning.

We just deployed more detailed logs and metrics to trace better when and how OTA requests go wrong.

@Ale-X could you please share a complete serial output from the board (before, during and after the OTA update attempt)?

Hi Zmoog I think I'm not able to have no serial output while doing OTA
I'll try a double connection one for uploading OTA et serial USB output

Just to share my experience. I disconnected one of my Nano 33 IOT which was connected OTA with a Thing sketch. I amended the sketch managed re-upload via OTA, WALA it's work. I then disconnected the device (power) leave it over night and connected it the next morning. WALA it's work. I hope the situation will remain as it is or get better with future software upgrade.