I have a bunch of 8266 that I've deployed the default ArduinoOTA sketch to. That works fine.
I've also got a sketch that merges strandtest with the OTA sketch. That also works fine. I can push changes to the script OTA, it loads the new version and the attached LEDs work like you'd expect.
Next step: get them to talk with each other. This is where everything comes to a screeching halt. Working from another example on getting data passed between devices, if I add this line:
to the sketch that works just fine, it breaks everything. And by breaks everything, I mean it will no longer load OTA. The 8266 I'm trying to load will output "Begin Failed" and then the IDE will report that it didn't get a response.
On one hand, it doesn't seem completely crazy to me that trying to do other wifi stuff would be problematic for the existing OTA code. However I don't understand why code that compiles would fail to load via OTA. I would expect the problem to come after it's loaded and starts running.