Other software

I have a compiled Basic program which is about 1 mbyte in size. It collects 4 analogue signals and produces a graphical display. Is it possible to use a stand alone Arduino (with this program transferred from a PC running XP) ? Occasional access to the PC would be required to change data.

Is it possible to use a stand alone Arduino

Sure. What did you want to use it for?

with this program transferred from a PC running XP

No, that is not possible. A compiled application for the PC will be useless on any other operating system, and even less useful on a system without an operating system.

It is hard to imagine how one might fit 1 MB of BASIC into the 32 kb of program memory space on the arduino.

It's relatively easy to write a small program to sample four analog inputs on the arduino, and send the data to a usb-serial-connected PC for charting.

-br

The idea is for a proposed portable weather application without having to carry a full PC. I would expect to have some memory expansion. So far have not bought an Arduino. Just wondering.

I would expect to have some memory expansion.

You can't run code from any kind of memory expansion unit. You can't run Basic code on an Arduino.

if you search, you will find peolpe have made Arduino weather station loggers, saving on SD cards for example.

Many thanks for all of your comments. I am wondering, can an operating system be attached? Is compiled Basic code still considered to be Basic code?

The answer to both your questions is: Sorry, no.

-br

Perhaps a Raspberry Pi would be a better starting point, if you want a small standalone PC with a graphical user interface

Thank you Peter H. That was going to be my next move, I think that an A-D converter may also be needed.