Ouch! Eagle Go Bye-Bye!

While working on a schematic for about 15 minutes Eagle (6.4.0) crashed. Working with Eagle is like voting: vote early and vote often; save early and save often.

ABORT: 'Take(Object)' failed! Programmer's mental process: I should include an assertion in case this condition ever fails but the condition will never fail so I'll use a completely useless message. Gotta love that logic.

“save early and save often.”

I take it you never played Larry the Leisuresuit Lounge Lizard or Space Quest then ?

I played Larry. But it's been too long for me to remember anything about it. Was it horribly unstable?

Come to think of it, I think all those games were stable, and never crashed.

It was the booby traps that made saving often a requirement :-)

Boffin1: Come to think of it, I think all those games were stable, and never crashed.

It was the booby traps that made saving often a requirement :-)

Like walking across a street and hit by a car or walking into an alley and roughed up by some thugs? I don't even remember what Larry was about. It was black white on my atari. I liked other games better. Early games often don't crash at all. It's the windowz games that are more likely to crash.

"walking into an alley and roughed up by some thugs?"

Thats the one, my kids gave me a disk with all the Larrys on, but I just dont have the time for games any more, and that was 25 years ago.

Plus there was no internet to get cheats from then, I remember we were stuck for weeks on the last stage of one Larry, nowdays you can get a hint in seconds.

You should look up “I wanna be the guy” for a crazy-difficult game.

Boffin1,

I collect classic video games/literature of video games and vintage computing stuff. If you ever find those things are dispensable and you want some of my arduino kits and shields, consider a trade :slight_smile:

larry laffer ..... those were the days ... I remember playing Larry (don't remember the title) on an amber screen. You had to type the commands. I spend days to find the command "tie rope around wrist". ( As Boffin said no internet to get hints.) The command was needed to get from the balcony to the next balcony. I can't recall crashes but it is so long ago it his nearly impossible to remember them. Jantje

PS For those who do not know the game. It is about a quest of a loser to get his manhood. A more than average sense of humour is needed to enjoy the game.

back OT

I had the same issue with kicad, but at the time it was more extreme, make a change save, every change... they seemed to make it a bit more stable, but it gave me the "ki cad twitch"

it hurt the first time, almost an hour's worth of work gone in a single "fu" message, I am so glad that the company I work for issued me a decent 8gig, 2.5Ghz i5 laptop with a altium designer license.

yea I have to drag a computer home, and make space for it to work on home projects, but that activity is encouraged as I am expected to learn altium, moving me up the food chain, which is cool considering I started this company as a 1 day temp job moving boxes, and now I am valued member of the engineering team. (or so I am told)

Not saying altium wont crash (well I have not had it happen on my insperion laptop, but those precisions the real engineers use like to barf at critical moments) but it saves a workspace almost too often, so worst case you only use a few min

still have "the ki cad twitch", drag a wire, save ... but getting a bit more relaxed with professional grade software

I dont want to think about if I ever lost this job ... the money is replaceable eventually, the toys are not (and we got some nice toys)

Osgeld:
I had the same issue with kicad, but at the time it was more extreme, make a change save, every change… they seemed to make it a bit more stable, but it gave me the “ki cad twitch”

That is so much worse than my experience with Eagle. Eagle is certainly quirky and has some very annoying deficiencies but it is actually reasonably stable. I was doing something “odd” when it crashed.

it hurt the first time, almost an hour’s worth of work gone in a single “fu” message,

Reminds me of Word 2.0. Man that thing was crap. The fact that Word survived and WordPerfect didn’t is a testament to how screwed up Novell was.

I am so glad that the company I work for issued me a decent 8gig, 2.5Ghz i5 laptop with a altium designer license.

Sweet!

I dont want to think about if I ever lost this job … the money is replaceable eventually, the toys are not (and we got some nice toys)

I have had jobs like that. At one point I had about $30,000 of various industrial controllers in my house.

as an example I spray paint copper clad and run it though a 12 grand laser engraver on a whim.

Are you guys using Eagle on Windows or OSX? I've lost a couple of jobs when Eagle crashes in Windows.... never had that problem with OSX (running v5.11 Professional edition). .... I'm debating whether I want to upgrade to 6.x... the automatic differential line routing is something I want.

I figure they're still fixing bugs of 6.4.

Windows. I've only encountered the one serious bug but I haven't used it much.

I just had EAGLE 6.3 crash on OSX…

Not saying altium wont crash

Altium "crashes" on me every day, sometimes twice. Normally with a "critical error" message but not once have I lost data that I know of. I simply save everything, shut it down then open it again.

Rob